Women’s Basketball | Hoyas to Avenge Overtime Loss

JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako scored a team-high 25 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the Hoyas’ overtime loss to then-No. 25 Seton Hall on Jan. 25.
JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA
Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako scored a team-high 25 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the Hoyas’ overtime loss to then-No. 25 Seton Hall on Jan. 25.

The Georgetown women’s basketball team (4-22, 2-12 Big East) will attempt to upset conference rival Seton Hall (22-4, 11-3 Big East) this Friday.

The Hoyas will travel to South Orange, N.J., to face off against a Seton Hall team that has consistently ranked among the best 25 teams in the country. The Pirates were ranked No. 24 as recently as last week before their loss to Marquette (7-19, 3-12 Big East) on Sunday.

The Hoyas will be looking to bounce back against the Pirates after dropping two contests last weekend. In last Friday’s bout against Xavier (15-11, 7-8 Big East), inconsistency during the game’s final minutes doomed the Hoyas and allowed the visiting Musketeers to come away with a five-point victory.

On Sunday, Georgetown could not overcome a double-digit second-half deficit against Butler (13-13, 9-6 Big East), and ultimately fell 65-56. With the loss, Georgetown’s losing streak was extended to 10 games.

Seton Hall enters Friday’s game after dropping a 73-70 decision to Marquette on Sunday. Marquette led by as many as 17 points in the second half, and despite Seton Hall’s comeback, the Pirates were unable to overtake the Golden Eagles down the stretch.

“We have beaten Marquette,” Head Coach Natasha Adair said. “It is always good to know that [Seton Hall] is vulnerable. … It will give our kids, especially our young kids, confidence.”

Georgetown nearly beat then-No. 25 Seton Hall during the teams’ first conference matchup on Jan. 25. The Hoyas jumped out to an early lead in the first half of the game and went into the locker room at halftime with a nine-point advantage.

However, the Pirates, who had lost only two games prior to facing off against the Hoyas, refused to go down without a fight. Seton Hall pulled within three points halfway through the second period. Georgetown was able to open up its lead again and had an eight-point advantage with less than nine minutes remaining in the period, but Seton Hall would not fold.

The Pirates tied the game with 0:19 left on the clock. The Hoyas were able to get a shot off in the remaining seconds of regulation, but junior guard Katie McCormick’s three-point attempt missed its mark, sending the game into overtime.

In the extra period, Seton Hall took complete control on both ends of the floor. The Pirates exploded for 17 points in the five-minute overtime period, while holding the Hoyas to just three points. The Pirates left McDonough Arena with a 99-85 victory.

“In our last game against Seton Hall we played hard, we had confidence in ourselves and we trusted each other,” junior forward Dominique Vitalis said. “But in those last five minutes, we lost our composure. Going into the next game we need to keep our composure … for the whole 40 minutes.”

Despite the loss to Seton Hall, Georgetown received impressive performances from a number of players. Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako led the way for the Hoyas, scoring a team-high 25 points. Vitalis and junior forward Logan Battle each scored 16 points. Adomako and Vitalis were also able to pull down nine rebounds each.

Junior forward Brittany Horne and McCormick also played important roles for the Hoyas. Horne hit three three-pointers on her way to scoring 11 points and McCormick added another 10 points.

Georgetown will need another solid team effort in order to avenge its previous loss to the Pirates.

“I think we definitely have to go into the game with the mindset that we have a chance,” Adomako said. “We have a good chance.”

Georgetown will also have to focus on containing Seton Hall’s offensive threats. Two players in particular shined in this season’s earlier matchup: graduate student guard Daisha Simmons scored a game-high 32 points and junior forward Tabatha Richardson-Smith added another 29 points.

“We have to contain [Simmons and Richardson-Smith],” Adair said. “We have to make a very conscious effort defensively … to be focused and to defend for the duration.”

The Hoyas have not won a game on the road yet this season, but they will look to erase that statistic on Friday.

“It’s not a matter of if we can compete because we have shown … that we can,” Adair said. “It’s a great opportunity for us to go on the road and steal one.”

Tipoff against Seton Hall is set for 7 p.m. Friday. Georgetown will finish the weekend road trip with a Sunday game at St. John’s (17-8, 8-6 Big East).