WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | McCormick Goes on Tear in Loss

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA Senior center Sydney Wilson provided the interior muscle to complement frosh Katie McCormick’s outside game, posting 11 points and 11 boards.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA
Senior center Sydney Wilson provided the interior muscle to complement frosh Katie McCormick’s outside game, posting 11 points and 11 boards.

Not all losses indicate poor play: As was the case on Saturday, when the Georgetown women’s basketball team took on No. 12 Louisville, there is such a thing as a good loss.

On a day when the Hoyas (13-9, 4-5 Big East) limited turnovers as well as the deficit in the first half on the road, the Blue and Gray were ultimately unable to keep pace with the No. 12 Louisville Cardinals (19-4, 7-2 Big East) in a 74-60 defeat.

“I think [the] one thing I told my staff is you can’t go in and yell at them when you are being a realistic person,” Head Coach Keith Brown said. “I try to be as realistic as possible. Our girls played extremely hard in that game.”

Both teams got off to a quick start, with the two sides exchanging multiple baskets after the opening tip. Neither was able to gain any momentum, though, until the Blue and Gray went on an 8-2 run five minutes in to gain a 16-10 advantage.

But Louisville soon responded with an 11-2 stretch of its own, and the bleeding stopped only when Georgetown freshman shooting guard Katie McCormick sunk a trey with just over six minutes remaining in the first half.

Efficient shooting from the Cardinals extended their lead going into halftime, but another three-pointer from sophomore forward Brittany Horne brought the Hoyas within four at the half, 33-29.

Though trailing at the break, Georgetown held the slight 14-12 advantage in points in the paint,as well as a 26-22 rebounding edge.

“In the first half, I think we controlled [Louisville junior guard] Shoni Schemmel. I thought [junior guard Antonita] Slaughter played extremely well for them. She hit some shots,” Brown said. “But all in all, I think we kept everyone in a box and played everyone well.”

Unfortunately for the Hoyas, the second half was a much different story. Louisville quickly opened the game up with a 16-5 run to assume a 49-34 lead, an advantage they would temporarily extend thanks to their shooting both at the line and behind the arc.

“[When Lousiville] got a little lead, I think that the momentum really got on their side, the crowd got into it and they were able to pull away from us a little bit,” Brown said.

Louisville continued to control the second half — and despite a late surge by the visitors to end the game — cruised to the 74-60 victory.

The disparity out of the locker rooms can largely be chalked up to a complete reversal of the interior stats in which the Blue and Gray excelled in the first half: The Cardinals won the rebounding battle 26-17 while also outscoring the Hoyas 16-10 in the paint en route to the 41-31 second-half scoreline.

The Hoyas’ inability to cause turnovers also played a role, as they were only able to force 16 on the night — far below their season average.

“We had some injuries, and when you have that many injuries, we couldn’t press as much as we wanted to and that’s basically it,” Brown said. “We had to come back and play a little bit more zone. “

McCormick led the Hoyas with a career-high 21-point performance on 7-of-13 shooting, while senior center Sydney Wilson posted a double-double, with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Louisville held the Big East’s leading scorer, Georgetown senior guard Sugar Rodgers, to just six points on 2-of-17 shooting.

Even so, Brown was pleased with what McCormick showed on the day.

“Katie [McCormick] has been waiting all year,” Brown said. “Everyone has been encouraging Katie because she is in the gym day and night. We knew it was coming.”

The Hoyas will next be in action on Saturday at St. John’s. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.