WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | GU Splits Matchups Against Fordham and VCU

After dropping back-to-back games Nov. 23 and Nov. 24, the Georgetown women’s basketball team got back on steady ground with a victory over Fordham University on Nov. 29, only to drop its next game against Virginia Commonwealth University three days later.

Following a struggling performance at the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout, the team returned to Washington, D.C., needing a win to maintain its winning record.

Georgetown (5-4) answered the call in its home game against Fordham (5-5), capitalizing on a second-half run to defeat the Rams 58-38. However, this momentum did not carry the team through the weekend, as it slipped up for a bitter two-point loss against VCU (6-2).

Georgetown’s hard, collective defense against Fordham kept the Rams to just 10 second-half points and enabled the Hoyas to pull away late in the game.

While the Hoyas began to heat up from the field, making 40 percent of their field goals in the game, they still were able to hold Fordham to a dismal second-half shooting performance of 15 percent from the field. The team also caused 13 turnovers on the defensive end.

Head Coach James Howard praised the team’s defensive performance in a postgame interview with GUHoyas.

“We pride ourselves on the defensive end, and tonight, we defended well,” Howard said.

Upperclassmen provided leadership and offensive firepower for the Hoyas. Senior guard Dionna White led the team with 15 points, while graduate student guards Dorothy Adomako and Mikayla Venson posted 13 and 12 respectively. Adomako also showed her rebounding ability, grabbing 10 rebounds en route to her second double-double of the season.

SOPHIA NUNN/THE HOYA | Graduate student guard Mikayla Venson combined for 25 points in the two games.

After the win, Georgetown welcomed a strong VCU team to McDonough Arena.

The Hoyas again held their opponent in check on the defensive end of the floor in the next contest, holding the VCU Rams to 47 points. Yet a lackluster offensive performance resulted in a 47-45 defeat.

Georgetown faced a much more heated battle against VCU than Fordham, as the game was knotted at 24 as the teams hit the locker room.

The Hoyas temporarily created some separation in the second half, taking a six-point lead into the fourth. However, the offense slowed down considerably in the fourth quarter, tallying only nine points on 19 percent shooting. The Hoyas struggled to slow the Rams’ offense. VCU exploded for 17 points in this frame to complete the comeback.

After the game, Howard voiced concerns over the team’s performance at both ends of the floor in an interview with GUHoyas.

“We just have to make our shots; that’s the biggest way to change the outcome,” Howard said. “VCU finished the easier baskets, and we had some bad defensive possessions which made a difference. We have some mental adjustments to make.”

Despite a tough defeat, the Hoyas can take away some bright spots. White and Adomako both contributed 14 points of their own, once again proving they are the consistent scorers this teams needs and can depend on. The women were also able to string together their second impressive defensive performance in as many games.

The Hoyas will have to regain momentum quickly, as No. 10 undefeated North Carolina State comes to the Hilltop on Saturday, Dec. 8. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m.