WOMEN’S CREW | Hoyas Find Success at Inaugural Navy Day Regatta

In its first race of the season, the Georgetown University women’s rowing team found success on the Schuylkill River, winning both the openweight 4+ and the freshman/novice 4+, and having three boats finish in the top four for the openweight races. This season opener took place in Philadelphia on Saturday, Oct. 13, with more than 30 crews on the water. 

Starting the day, the varsity boat placed first in the openweight 4+ race, with a time of 14:54.92. This squad consisted of sophomore coxswain Caroline Sterman, junior stroke Mia Tsudis, senior Caroline O’Brien, freshman Bailyn Prichett and freshman bow Francesca Donovan. 

Next on the water was the women’s lightweight 4+. The Hoyas came second with a time of 15:56.30. The crew consisted of senior Michelle Choi, sophomore Hannah Weingartner, senior Anna Kemmerer and freshman Maya Smith. Finishing 22.02 seconds behind the first-place finishers, composed of rowers from Vesper Boat Club and Pennsylvania Athletic Club, the lightweight squad set a good foundation for the rest of the season by defeating the boats from La Salle and Fairfield handily.

The next three JV 8+ boats raced in the late morning, with all three boats finishing in the top six of the race. The Hoyas’ A boat finished the course in 14:14.63 minutes, 14.75 seconds behind first place. The boat had freshman Sophia Cullinan as coxswain, freshman Rachel Green as stroke and freshman Ella Petreski, senior Cait Hagan, sophomore Jessica York, freshman Fiona Wardrop, senior Angela Glazer, junior Maggie Taaffe and freshman Josie O’Brien in bow. As a majority-underclassmen boat, this second-place finish set expectations for the future since the young team competed well, with the top boat finishing within 15 seconds of Penn’s boat and two of the three boats defeating the opposition from Villanova and Temple.

GU Hoyas | The Hoyas row with force as they perform strong strokes to advance through the waters.

The Hoyas’ B boat finished 24.61 seconds later, crossing the finish line at 14:39.24. The rowers in this boat were sophomore stroke Claire Miller, junior Taylor Villante, senior Elisabeth O’Brien, freshman Alexandra Kosobucki, sophomore Sanna Ten Cate, sophomore Maddox Angerhofer, senior Isabel Rose and senior Carly Glickenhaus.

The Hoyas’ C boat finished with similar success in sixth place out of sixteen, with a time of 14:51.09, beating out Navy by 14 seconds after being neck and neck with the Midshipmen for large portions of the race. Junior coxswain Schylar Jacobs headed the boat, with senior Isabella Hershey, sophomore Erica Arnold, sophomore Abigail Sauvigne, sophomore Helena Jensen, junior Caroline Moffatt, sophomore Caroline Hecht, junior Leigh Bianchi and freshman Madeleine Macy.

The open 4x race in the early afternoon yielded promising results for Georgetown’s A boat and B boat, too. The two boats finished 15:23.76 and 15:24.90 for second and third place. The next race, the women’s open 8+, also yielded good results for the Hoyas. Both Georgetown crews finished in the top five out of 30 teams. The A boat crossed the line at 13:34.46 in second place, 23.62 seconds behind the first-place boat, with the B boat finishing fifth at 13:53.21. The B boat was not only the best of all of the B boats in that competition, but they also defeated the A boats from some strong programs, most notably Temple, Delaware and St. Joseph’s.

In the last race of the day, the Georgetown freshman/novice 4+ finished first, racing at 1:38 p.m. This all-freshmen boat crossed the line at 16:04.00, fending off 12 other teams and leaving 40 seconds between itself and its closest contender. 

The Hoyas race this weekend in Boston for the Head of the Charles Regatta on Oct. 19 and 20.