Women’s Golf | GU Finishes 21st in Spring Tournament

The Georgetown’s women’s golf team competed in its first tournament of the spring this past weekend at the Kiawah Island Classic in Kiawah Island, S.C. The Hoyas kicked off the second half of its season and finished in 21st place out of 40 teams.
After posting consecutive rounds of 315, Georgetown’s final round 309 gave the Hoyas a 54-hole score of 939 — good for a cumulative value of 75-over par.

Standout performers from the weekend included freshman Jacquelyn Eleey, who led Georgetown with a total score of 229, and junior Mackenzie Boydston, who posted the team’s best individual score with a final-round 74. Eleey’s total score put her in a tie for 36th place overall among individual players.

Head Coach Kate Brophy was pleased with her team’s overall performance, especially considering the early-season nature of the tournament and the difficult weather conditions that the team endured.

“The team was really competitive across the board. We showed a lot of grit and determination in the first round in very tough weather conditions.… It was nice to get the early season kinks out,” Brophy said.

Although golf is primarily an individual sport, Georgetown’s players fed off of each other’s energy and relied on their team dynamic to improve their performance. Eleey credited her teammates for supporting each other as they went through their rounds.

“Our team had great communication between holes. We were always rooting and ceering for each other. We stayed positive especially on the first day when there were really tough conditions; it was a grind out there,” Eleey said.

Like many of Georgetown’s sports teams, the women’s golf team has been affected by recent weather conditions in the Northeast. The Hoyas have not had much outdoor practice recently, and as a result, the players were forced to make the abrupt transition from playing on turf to playing on grass.

“Getting back out on grass was great,” she said. “It was difficult transferring from turf to grass, but the team did a great job of handling it. We wanted to make the cut, which we did. There are definitely some kinks that need to be worked out but we showed up strong for our first tournament.”

The team’s lack of outdoor practice time has particularly affected the team’s play around the green. When a player is limited to indoor practice, it is particularly difficult to replicate the conditions of an outdoor greenside area.

“The team is really strong in hitting greens, especially in the final rounds. We need to practice our short game, as we haven’t really had a chance to practice that due to the large amount of snow that we’ve had. Once we clean that up, we’ll be really ready to go,” Brophy said.

Eleey echoed her coach’s sentiments, noting that her performance could have improved even further with a sharper short game.

“I feel like I left some shots out on the course, and sharpening up the short-game can save a lot of shots,” Eleey said.

Going forward, the team is focused on winning other tournaments, including the Big East Championships.

“For the second half of the season, we want to win tournaments,” Brophy said.

The Hoyas are also looking to build off their success during the fall season. Georgetown played in five tournaments and finished the fall on a high note by winning the Lady Blue Hen Invitational in Rehoboth, Del.

“Winning Big East and making it to regionals is definitely a team goal. I feel like we have accomplished so much in the fall season and this past tournament that can make winning Big East a reality,” Eleey said.

The team will have a few weeks to prepare for their next tournament, the Hoya Invitational, which will take place on March 29-30. The Invitational will be played at Four Streams Golf Course in Beallsville, Md.