WOMEN’S GOLF | Hoyas Return to Struggles, Finish in 13th Place

After a solid performance at the Princeton Invitational two weeks ago, finishing in ninth place but only three strokes away from sixth, the Georgetown women’s golf team traveled to New Haven, Conn., to play at the Yale Invitational last weekend. The three-day tournament began Friday morning at the 6,099-yard Yale Golf Course, where they finished in 13th place out of 14. 

Each day, the 14 competing teams began playing the 18-hole field at 9 a.m. with a shotgun start, meaning everyone started at the same time on all different holes. The lineup for this weekend highlighted three freshmen and two seniors. The Hoyas finished 11th on the first day of the tournament, with 312 points. Freshman Lauren May, Georgetown’s top finisher in two of the three tournaments this year, ended the day again as the team’s leading scorer, tied for 11th place with a score of 73. 

Freshman Esther Park finished second for the Georgetown team at 79 and is now tied for 48th in her inaugural season for the Hoyas. Senior Ashley Fitzgibbons, having finished the last tournament with her best performance of the fall, tied Park’s score for the round. Senior Kate Evanko finished next at 81 strokes, followed by freshmen Dana Choi and Elena Zheng who carded an 85 and an 86.

Zheng, in her collegiate debut as an individual player, vastly improved her score on the second day of the tournament, finishing with a score of 158, tying for 61st. May finished in the top 25 with a 148, followed by Fitzgibbons at 33rd, increasing her position in the standings by 15 spots since the previous day. Choi ended the day with 161 strokes, one stroke ahead of Evanko and Park. 

GUHOYAS | Wedge play was one of many areas of play which derailed the Hoyas’ opportunity for a second consecutive strong performance.

The Hoyas maintained their place on the third day, finishing the tournament 13th out of 14 teams. At a total of 923 points, Georgetown managed to fend off the University of Hartford as it fell short of the other teams. May and Fitzgibbons ended the weekend tied for 34th having carded a 226. Evanko and Choi saw steady improvements in their play over the course of the three days, finishing with 238 and 239 strokes. Park tied for 69th at 240 and Zheng was close behind at 73th with 242 points. 

Despite finishing close to last, the team still had some strong performances from younger golfers. May, Park and Choi presented themselves as a strong and reliable core for the rest of their time on the team for Georgetown, consistently ranked in the top five for the team since the beginning of the semester. 

The course was ranked by the Golf Magazine as the 71st among the 100 most difficult golf courses in the world. Regardless of this ranking, the weather conditions were ideal last weekend for the tournament. The course lent itself to a successful tournament, having been voted as the No. 1 college golf course in America.

The Hoyas look forward to traveling to Rehobeth Beach Country Club in Delaware to compete at the Blue Hen Invitational on Oct. 19 and 20.