WOMEN’S GOLF | Hoyas Struggle to 10th Place Finish at Nittany Lion Invitational

After its trip to South Carolina for the Cougar Classic, the Georgetown women’s golf team took to the road again for the Nittany Lion Invitational in State College, Pa. The tournament was held at Penn State’s Blue Course. Out of a field of 12 teams, the Hoyas finished 10th after posting rounds of 302, 318 and 318. This plus-74 performance was good enough for Georgetown to finish ahead of Youngstown State and Ohio.

GUHOYAS | Freshman Esther Park watches her drive during the Nittany Lion Invitational.

In the opening round, the Blue and Gray came out strong, placing in the top five. The first round included stellar performances from a pair of freshmen. Freshman Lauren May posted a score of two under 70, a career best. In the second round, May shot an 80, which put her tied for 24th along with fellow freshman Esther Park, who carded scores of 78 and 74.

After raving in detail about the freshmen’s performances, Head Coach Kate Schanuel succinctly analyzed her elite freshman and their immediate contributions to the team, saying, “Her and Lauren are very, very strong for us right now.”

Junior Elizabeth Nguyen was the next Hoya on the leaderboard at 51st following her 13-over outing after the first two rounds. Nguyen managed to finish her second round strong, with two birdies in her last four holes.

Just behind her was senior Ashley Fitzgibbons, whose aggregate score of 158 put her just a shot behind Nguyen. Collectively, all of the Hoyas’ scores put Georgetown in 10th place with a cumulative score of 620.

In the final round, the Hoyas yet again tallied a total score of 318, maintaining their 10th place position. Park was Georgetown’s top performer with a weekend score of plus 13, tying her for 28th. May finished just two shots behind Park with a total of 231 and finished tied at 34th. Senior Kate Evanko finished 50th after a three-round score of 237, which put her just a shot ahead of teammate Fitzgibbons, who came in tied for 53th. For the duration of the tournament, Penn State’s Blue Course played par 72 and is over 6,000 yards long.

After the tournament, Schanuel held up the play of the underclassmen like May and Park in an interview with GUHoyas.

“We have several new players and young players this year that are really developing well so far in their career here, in their short career, so the energy was up. The freshmen are going to be in the lineup for Princeton; we’re looking forward to them playing really well this coming week.”

Looking forward to the rest of the season with some optimism, Schanuel added, “So lots of positive stuff to take away from it; I think we just have to work out a couple of things in the lineup and get our upperclassmen to contribute, and they know that. So once we get that ironed out, we’re going to be really good.”

For their next tournament, the Hoyas will travel to Princeton, N.J., where they will compete in a 12-team pool again and will square off against all eight Ivy League schools, among other rivals.