Women’s Golf | Hoyas Tie for 8th at Nittany Lion Invitational

The Georgetown women’s golf team tied for eighth place out of 16 teams at the 42nd annual Nittany Lion Invitational this past weekend, which was hosted by Penn State.

The Hoyas, who returned four out of the five members from their second consecutive Big East Championship victory last season, faced off against Big East Conference rivals Seton Hall and Xavier in the tournament, as well as the University of Pennsylvania and hosts Penn State.

The Hoyas carded a team score of 54-over par 918. All teams completed three rounds over the course of two days at the par-72 Penn State Blue Course in University Park, Pennsylvania.

Georgetown competed without senior Christina Parsells, the team’s leading returning scorer. Parsells averaged 76.37 strokes per round last year and tied for second at the Big East Championship, earning All-Big East Team honors for her performance.

Penn State recorded a 9-under par final round score of 279 to complete a comeback tiebreaker victory that marked their third Nittany Lion Invitational Championship in the past four years.

Rutgers, Seton Hall, Navy and Xavier filled out the top five. The Hoyas finished tied with the University of Pennsylvania.

Senior Pendleton Bogache scored a 9-over par 225 over three rounds, finishing tied for 29th place.

As a junior, Bogache competed in 27 rounds and earned three top 10 finishes. Bogache averaged 78.22 strokes per round and tied for ninth at the Big East Championship last season.

In her first tournament of the season, junior Kate Evanko shot an 11-over par 227 to tie for 33rd place, while senior Alexa Popowitz carded a 14-over par 230 to tie for 45th place.

Popowitz medaled at the Rutgers Invitational and added two more top-10 finishes throughout last season. She and Parsells were the two members of the women’s team who played in all 33 rounds last year.

The Hoyas travel to New Jersey on the weekend of Sept. 29-30 to compete at the Princeton Invitational where they earned a victory last year, defeating second-place Harvard by 14 strokes.