WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Georgetown Beats Towson in Home Opening Rivalry Game

In their home debut for the 2019 season, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team pulled off a nail-biting 10-7 victory over regional rival Towson.

The Hoyas (2-0) built on last week’s success in defeating the Tigers (0-2), who they had failed to beat over the past three seasons.

The game got off to a slow start, remaining scoreless until Towson struck first halfway through the first period. However, Georgetown drew on their experience playing from behind last week against St. Joe’s; the Blue and Gray responded just a minute later with a goal from sophomore midfielder Caroline Frock.

After Towson took a 2-1 lead with a goal on a free position shot, Georgetown went on a three-goal run capped off by two straight scores from senior attack Taylor Gebhardt with 9:46 left in the first half. After a long scoring drought, the two teams traded goals to make the game 5-3 heading into the break.

The second half took on a fast tempo with the teams trading goals back and forth. Gebhardt followed up her scoring from earlier with a goal on a free position shot along with freshman midfielder Annabelle Albert, who scored 10 minutes into the half to put Georgetown up by two goals.

JULIA GIGANTE/FOR THE HOYA| Cradling the ball, junior attack Emily Ehle moves upfield against Towson.

After the Tigers came back with two goals of their own, the Hoyas responded a minute later to regain the lead with a goal from junior attack Michaela Bruno. The Blue and Gray maintained their single goal lead until there were five minutes remaining. Georgetown then found the back of the net on two consecutive possessions and cruised to a three-goal victory.

After the game, Head Coach Ricky Fried was pleased with his team’s fight.

“In the end, we didn’t back down, we didn’t worry, we didn’t point fingers, we just rallied together and depended on each other and kept fighting,” Fried said in a postgame interview with GUHoyas. “The biggest thing I’m proud of with this group so far is the fight that they have and the effort they put out.”

Despite coming up short on ground balls and turning the ball over three more times than Towson, Georgetown managed to outshoot its opponent 25-21 and dominated in draw controls 14-5.

The Hoyas also found scoring from a variety of players from multiple positions, which made it difficult for the Tigers to advance. The team was led by its veteran leadership on offense with seniors Gebhardt, attack Morgan Ryan and midfield Francesca Whitehurst each contributing goals.

The Hoyas will return to the Hilltop in another Colonial Athletic Association matchup against the Drexel University Dragons on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 3 p.m. The team also looks ahead to another rivalry matchup against Johns Hopkins on Feb. 27.