Women’s Lacrosse | GU Drops Physical Match to Towson

Junior midfielder Georgia Tunney scored two goals on three shots in Wednesday's loss to Towson. (SPENCER COOK/THE HOYA)
Junior midfielder Georgia Tunney scored two goals on three shots in Wednesday’s loss to Towson. (SPENCER COOK/THE HOYA)

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team fell to No. 17 Towson on Wednesday 13-8 at Cooper Field in an unusually physical game. Towson (2-2) had 40 fouls, most of them in the second half, while Georgetown (1-3) recorded 30 fouls split evenly in each half. The Hoyas also had eight yellow cards, while Towson received five. The Hoyas never took the lead in the game and fell well behind with a weak second half showing.

Junior midfielders Georgia Tunney and Hannah Seibel led the Hoyas with two goals each. Sophomore attacker Taylor Gebhardt, sophomore midfielder Morgan Ryan, junior midfielder Rachel Rausa and junior attacker Sarah Cheney all notched one goal.

Sophomore attacker Natalie Sulmonte led Towson offensively with three goals, all in the second half. Senior attacker Alyssa Ferro, sophomore attacker Carly Tellekamp and junior midfielders Maddie Tribbe and Emily Gillingham scored two goals for Towson, while senior midfielder Michaela Duranti and junior midfielder Kaitlyn Montalbano had one.

Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried attributed the loss to poor all-around execution.

“Overall, the biggest aspect of the game was execution as a whole — whether it was offensive end, defensive end or clearing the ball — all of those pieces, frankly, we didn’t do a great job at,” Fried said. “The biggest thing is we played emotionally. We let the other team dictate the tempo of the game and how it was going to be played, and we responded and were a little out of character tonight while doing so.”

Fried believes that the Hoyas’ emotions during the game increased the number of yellow cards and penalties it received, something he told his players postgame.

“We want to protect ourselves, clearly. We want to make sure we are playing hard, aggressively, but we don’t want to play emotionally. We allowed that to happen. We told our players afterward, ‘I’m not going to tell you not to get frustrated or not to get upset, but how you channel your emotion is more important than the emotion that you are feeling,’” Fried said.

Despite the tough loss, Fried highlighted the play of goaltenders senior Maddie Fisher and sophomore Haelle Chomo in the loss.

“For as bad as we played, we lost by five goals to a team that’s ranked No. 17 in the country. It probably didn’t seem that close at times. The positive I’ll take out of that is Maddie Fisher, in the goal, played well even though she wasn’t getting a lot of help, and Haelle basically just put her in to see if there might be a little spark. I thought she did a nice job when she went in there,” Fried said.

“But we can’t rely on one or two players for us to be successful. We can’t afford for our best players to get carded out of a game or be one for seven. We’ve got to practice harder to play harder.”

The Hoyas’ next game is against John’s Hopkins (3-0). Fried said the team needs to refocus if they want to improve upon mistakes made in the Towson match.

“School’s tough; it’s a long season. But we’ve got to make sure — we’re only a quarter of the way done — we’ve got to make sure we are moving past this and getting better.”

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team’s next game is Wednesday, March 1 at 5 p.m. against John’s Hopkins. It will be broadcasted on ESPNU.