Women’s Lacrosse | GU Sinks in Second Half

STANLEY DAI/THE HOYA Sophomore midfielder Hannah Seibel had one assist and took two shots in Georgetown’s 10-4 loss to No. 19 Johns Hopkins on Saturday. Seibel has two goals this season.
STANLEY DAI/THE HOYA
Sophomore midfielder Hannah Seibel had one assist and took two shots in Georgetown’s 10-4 loss to No. 19 Johns Hopkins on Saturday. Seibel has two goals this season.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team (2-6) fell to No. 19 Johns Hopkins (7-2) in a 10-4 finish on Saturday. This marked the 12th consecutive and 18th overall matchup between the two teams, which are tied with nine wins apiece. As one of the final games in the nonconference stretch of the Hoyas’ season, this contest provided an opportunity for the Hoyas to prepare for upcoming conference play.

Heading into the matchup, both Georgetown and Johns Hopkins were coming off road victories, against George Mason (3-2) and Vanderbilt (4-4), respectively. In the two days of preparation prior to this matchup, the Hoyas focused on increasing their overall competitiveness in order to take on a team as strong as the Blue Jays.

“After George Mason, we were talking about how we would get everyone motivated to compete 24/7,” freshman attack Taylor Gebhardt said. “With Mason we did get a good win, but I think we could have come out with a larger marginal victory.”

The Blue Jays started the game strong, scoring the first goal in under 20 seconds. The Hoyas quickly responded with an unassisted goal from Gebhardt. For the following seven minutes, the game was scoreless. However, the Blue Jays soon picked up momentum and scored three unanswered goals to take a 4-1 lead entering the half, despite the fact that the Hoyas outshot them 14-10.

Within the first five minutes of the second half, the Hoyas tightened the gap to 3-4, with consecutive unassisted goals from Gebhardt and senior captain attack Corinne Etchison.

“We realized that we had all those shots and that all we had to do was place the ball,” Gebhardt said regarding the shift in momentum. “Towards the end of the first half we were getting frustrated on offense, so we just relaxed and used our strengths.”

However, the Hoyas could not continue the streak, with their only other goal in the second half coming from sophomore midfielder Georgia Tunney off an assist from sophomore midfielder Hannah Seibel. In the end, the Blue Jays scored six goals in the second half to cap off their 10-4 victory.

The Hoyas took more shots on goal, won more draw controls and committed fewer turnovers and fouls; however, stick skills, execution and shot-placement problems contributed to their defeat.

“We had a lot of shooting opportunities, but I think we were thinking too much about how good their goalie was instead of focusing on our strengths and placing the ball,” Gebhardt said. “Our communication of offense fell apart a little bit, and if we get that communication together it will be better.”

Despite the wide deficit, the Hoyas competed until the final seconds against the Blue Jays, who have been an intimidating force this season.

“We played competitively and kept fighting and I thought defensively we did a really extraordinary job for probably about three quarters of the game, but then when you have to press out against a quality opponent, we give up some things,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said.

The Hoyas will play against Loyola (4-4, 2-0 Patriot League) today on Cooper Field at 7 p.m.