WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Top Bulldogs at Home for 4th Big East Win

SHEEL PATEL/THE HOYA
Sophomore attack Emily Ehle, left, scored on free position opportunity in Saturday’s 20-13 conference victory over Butler.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team continued its winning ways last weekend, securing its third victory in a row with another conference win against Butler at home.  Georgetown is now 4-1 in conference play, with its only Big East loss coming against Florida.

On Saturday, the Blue and Gray came out strong against the Bulldogs (1-12, 0-5 Big East), scoring the first two goals of the game, both of which were unassisted. Junior attacker Taylor Gebhardt notched the first just around 30 seconds into the game. She was followed less than a minute later by sophomore midfielder Natalia Lynch.

For the first 15 or so minutes, the game was closely contested.  After Georgetown’s first two goals, Butler came back to score two of its own. Georgetown answered with one from sophomore attacker Michaela Bruno, and Butler retaliated to even it out once more.

Georgetown soon regained the lead, scoring on a free position opportunity. The free position goal, scored by sophomore attacker Emily Ehle sent the Hoyas on an unanswered eight goal run to finish out the first half up 11-3.

During the eight-goal advance, six Hoyas scored, including Ehle, Bruno and Gebhardt.  Junior attacker Morgan Ryan, senior midfielder Hannah Seibel and senior midfielder Rachel Rausa also chipped in one apiece.

All eight goals were either unassisted or scored on free position opportunities, except for Gebhardt’s. Her goal — the final of the half — was made possible with an assist by freshman defender Mollie Miller.

Miller was named Big East Freshman of the Week for her efforts against both Denver and Butler.  Against Denver, she was tasked with guarding Kendra Lanuza. Miller kept her to one goal off of three shots. The award is Miller’s first career weekly accolade.

In addition to her assist on Saturday, Miller raked in two ground balls in both conference contests.

Head Coach Ricky Fried felt Saturday’s effort, while solid, could have been better. 000

“We had some good moments, and we had some average moments, so we need to focus and make sure we’re playing to our level on a consistent basis,” Fried said.

The first half’s close highlighted the Hoyas’ strong early performance.

In the second half, Butler scored first, seeking to cut its deficit. The closest the Bulldogs got to the Hoyas was within five points at a score of 13-8 with just under 21 minutes left to play.

The second half saw nine more Hoya goals, including some new scorers. Junior defender Josie Zinn scored her first career goal. Freshmen midfielders Caroline Frock and Madison Ascione also each chipped in one. Ascione’s was also her first career goal.

Freshmen attackers Cameron McGee and Anna Farley and graduate student Christina Farley each had one assist each in the second half.

In the second half, Seibel and Lynch each added another goal for two apiece on the day. Rausa scored twice more for a hat trick while Gebhardt and Bruno finished with four goals apiece on Saturday. Gebhardt leads the Hoyas this season with 39 points; Bruno is right behind her with 38.

Bruno was also named to the Big East weekly honor roll for the first time in her career. Before scoring four goals against Butler on Saturday, Bruno also dominated against Denver and the Pioneers.

Overall, Georgetown outshot Butler, 38-23 on Saturday. The Hoyas secured 18 ground balls to the Bulldogs’ 13, and 20 draw controls to 15.  The final score was 20-13 for the Hoyas.

Fried was pleased with the Hoyas’ performance.

“It’s always good to get a win in the Big East,” Fried said. “We’re at a really good spot at this point in the season, but we need to continue to get better.”

The squad will face another conference team this Saturday. The Hoyas return to action when they travel to Nashville, Tenn., to take on Vanderbilt University for a 2 p.m. Big East game against the Commodores. Live stats and a webcast of the matchup will be available at GUHoyas.com.