WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Syracuse Blowout Ends Four-Game Win Streak

The No. 14 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team knew exactly what to expect Saturday from second-ranked Syracuse, (10-2, 4-0 Big East) but never managed to figure out how to stop them. The Hoyas fell to the Orange, 22-11, in what was an uneven affair right from the get-go.

The loss snapped a four-game winning streak for Georgetown (8-5, 4-2 Big East), which had been riding an emotional high and playing some of its best lacrosse of the season entering Saturday’s contest. No team had approached Georgetown by any closer than six goals during the Blue and Gray’s four-game winning streak, and the Hoyas had demolished Cincinnati by 18 just over a week ago.

But this time around, it was the Blue and Gray who found themselves on the wrong side of a lopsided final, entering unfamiliar territory for the first time in several weeks.

“It doesn’t feel great, obviously, especially after watching the film and realizing that we played with them and [that] it came down to two stats: our shooting percentage and their shooting percentage,” Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried said.

The statistic that Fried referenced was glaring in the game’s final box score. Syracuse converted its shots at nearly a 69 percent rate, while the Hoyas went a much more pedestrian 35.5 percent.

“We just never really gave ourselves a chance on offense to build some momentum, [whereas] I thought they did a better job of that across the board,” Fried said.

The Orange jumped out to an early 5-1 lead in the first 10 minutes of the game, forcing the Hoyas to play catch-up for the rest of the game.

“I think when you’re playing catch-up, you start to do some things that you normally wouldn’t do, and you press a little bit,” Fried said. “And instead of staying relaxed and focusing on just chipping away, we got a little bit tentative and did some things that were uncharacteristic.”

The Blue and Gray, who appeared relaxed and confident in practices leading up to the Syracuse game, seemed fully capable of taking out the No. 2 team in the country for the second time this season. They had already beaten then-No. 2 North Carolina in mid-March.

Unfortunately for Fried’s squad, the confidence going into the match failed to translate into sufficient execution on the field.

“It’s a wake-up call, obviously. There are things we need to focus on and work on, and unfortunately sometimes you need a loss to refocus yourselves. So we’re going to look at it that way: an opportunity to refocus on some certain things,” Fried said.

All is far from lost for the Hoyas, though, who have the opportunity to control their destiny with two conference games still remaining in Big East play. The Big East championship is still very much within reach.

Georgetown has this week off, which means the team will have plenty of time to recover and move on from the tough loss. Next up for the Hoyas is Notre Dame at home this Saturday, with the opening draw scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at MultiSport Facility. glax