WOMEN’S SOCCER | GU Suffers First Conference Loss Against DePaul Before Shutout Victory Over Seton Hall

DePaul forward Morgan Turner fought off the Georgetown defense in the 92nd minute of play to slot a ball past freshman keeper Anna Leat inside the far post. The golden goal secured the Blue Demons’ 1-0 victory over the No. 14 Hoyas and ended the Hoyas’ undefeated run in Big East play. 

Both teams put forth strong defensive efforts to shut down offensive opportunities by the opponent on Thursday, Oct. 24 at Wish Field in Chicago. In the second half, the Georgetown (10-3-3, 4-1-2 Big East) defense held the Blue Demons (7-6-3, 4-2-1 Big East) to zero shots on goal while the Hoyas recorded a pair of shots themselves. 

The game saw little offensive action throughout regulation time, with Georgetown tallying five shots with one on net and DePaul recording three shots with none on frame in the first 90 minutes of play. The Blue and Gray also had the advantage in corner kicks, earning four throughout the match to DePaul’s two. Georgetown’s most promising play came in the 84th minute when senior defender Meaghan Nally put a shot on net that ultimately found the hands of the DePaul keeper, sending the game into overtime. This match marks the third consecutive overtime match played by the Hoyas and their first overtime loss of the season. 

Following their loss to DePaul, Georgetown returned home on Sunday, Oct. 27, to challenge Seton Hall (1-13-1, 0-8-0 Big East) at Shaw Field. The Hoyas looked to build upon their performance against the Pirates in the 2018 season as they emerged with a 4-0 victory. 

Kirk Zieser/The Hoya | Senior forward Paula Germino-Watnick prepares to power the ball towards the net from just outside the box as the Hoyas face the Seton Hall Pirates at home.

From the whistle, the Blue and Gray challenged the Pirates’ defense with a total of seven shots and five corners in the first half. The Georgetown defense also denied Seton Hall a shot in the first half while allowing just one corner in the process. 

Despite the Hoyas’ offensive pressure, the Pirates’ defense rejected their advances throughout the first 67 minutes of play. Georgetown finally broke through in the 67th minute when graduate forward Amanda Carolan connected with sophomore defender Jenna Royson, who buried the ball in the back of the net. 

With a 1-0 lead, the Blue and Gray continued its offensive momentum by notching three more goals in the following minutes. In the 69th minute, Carolan tallied a goal of her own by heading an assist by junior forward Jenna Menta past the Seton Hall keeper. Menta added a third goal in the 80th minute after receiving an assist from senior midfielder Carson Nizialek and powering past defenders in the box to put the ball away. Sophomore forward Caitlin Moon closed out the match with a goal in the 84th minute to lead the Hoyas to a 4-0 victory. 

On the day, Georgetown put up 22 shots with nine on frame to Seton Hall’s zero and had a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks. The Seton Hall keeper put up five saves in the match and Georgetown junior keeper Alyssa Navarette remained unchallenged in net. The shutout marks the team’s ninth shutout this season. 

Since the match, Nally has earned recognition on the Big East Weekly Honor Roll for her contributions to the Georgetown defense that held DePaul and Seton Hall to a collective single shot on goal this past week. 

Georgetown returns to action one final time this regular season to face St. John’s in its last conference match. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Shaw Field this Thursday, Oct. 31.