WOMEN’S SOCCER | Hoyas Fall on Road at UVA, Bounce Back With Win at Lafayette

The No. 15 Georgetown women’s soccer squad had two contests last week, one at No. 5 University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va., and another at home against Lafayette. The Hoyas fell to Virginia’s talented squad but bounced back with a dominant win over the Lafayette Leopards.

The Hoyas began the first match with an early chance from senior forward Paula Germino-Watnick, who recorded a shot in the fourth minute that was blocked by the Cavalier defense.

In the 10th minute, a Cavalier player found a hole in the Blue and Gray defense and managed to bury an uncontested shot from just outside the six-yard box. Virginia (5-0-0) kept up its offensive pressure by following up the goal with two shots and a corner kick in the following five minutes.

In response, Germino-Watnick, who would prove to be the Hoyas’ biggest offensive threat of the day, tallied another shot just wide of the net in the 21st minute. Germino-Watnick would go on to record three of Georgetown’s six total shots, generating the most opportunities for the Blue and Gray offense. Senior midfielder Carson Nizialek also contributed in the 33rd minute with the Hoyas’ only shot on goal, which was turned aside by the Cavaliers’ goalkeeper.

The Hoyas held the Cavaliers to a close game throughout the second half, limiting them to three shots while recording three of their own. Georgetown remained within one through 85 minutes but conceded a second goal to Virginia in the 85th minute. Despite efforts in the remaining five minutes of the game, including a corner kick and shot, Georgetown could not close the 2-0 deficit.

Head Coach Dave Nolan understood the threat of the Virginia offense going into the game and detailed his team’s defensive strategy to contain them with pressure and counterattacks.

MAGGIE FOUBERG/THE HOYA | Freshman midfielder Julia Leas escapes the defense to fire a shot on net

“This game was always going to be a real test for us,” Nolan said in an interview with GUHoyas. “Virginia is a top side with a special player upfront. We set out to play in a compact way and tried to counter them when we could. I credit our players for executing that plan really well and being down 1-0 with five minutes left, I always felt we could get one, and we almost did.”

Following the loss in Charlottesville, Georgetown (3-2-1) returned to Shaw Field on Sunday afternoon to host Lafayette (2-3-1).

The Hoyas were able to strike early. After a deflected shot by Germino-Watnick in the 18th minute of the match found the feet of junior defender Kelly Ann Livingstone in the box, Livingstone finished off the shot to put the Hoyas up 1-0.

Early in the second half, Germino-Watnick sent a corner kick into the box, finding senior defender Meaghan Nally’s head and then the back of the net for the second goal of the game. In the 59th minute, Germino-Watnick then tallied a goal of her own to go with her two assists, as she slotted the ball past the Lafayette keeper after a passing combination between Livingstone and senior forward Casey Richards found her open in great position in the box.

After three unanswered goals by the Hoyas, Lafayette broke through the Georgetown defense in the 88th minute to find a player in the middle of the box who put the ball away and brought the game to within two.

The Leopards’ two-goal deficit would prove to be short-lived. With just over a minute remaining in the match, sophomore forward Boo Jackson soared a corner kick past the Lafayette defense and keeper to notch Georgetown’s fourth and final goal in their 4-1 victory.

Junior goalkeeper Alyssa Navarrete had three saves on the day to the Lafayette keeper’s seven. The Hoyas tallied 24 shots, 11 of which were on goal to the Leopard’s six shots, four being on frame. Georgetown also earned 17 corners to Lafayette’s one.

After the victory, Nolan expressed satisfaction with the team’s offensive showing while also voicing some concern about the goal allowed in the last few minutes of the game.

“We’re still trying to figure things out and still trying to get a little bit better each day,” Nolan said in an interview with GUHoyas. “I thought we played better today than we did against Bucknell last week. I thought there was a lot of positive today. I was disappointed though with the goal we gave up.”

Georgetown next looks to its matchup with Princeton this coming Thursday. The Hoyas are hoping to secure another victory against the Tigers after winning 2-1 in overtime off of a penalty kick last season. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m. on Shaw Field.