WOMEN’S SOCCER | Hoyas Remain Undefeated After Tying Providence

The No. 23 Georgetown women’s soccer team was unable to pull off a win on its Senior Day, but the team remains without a loss so far this season following a 1-1 draw against Providence College on Sunday, Oct. 3 at Shaw Field.

The Hoyas (6-0-6, 2-0-2 Big East) entered the match against the Friars (6-3-2, 1-1-1 Big East) on a two-game win streak, following Big East wins over Xavier University and DePaul University. The Friars themselves were coming off an exciting overtime win against Creighton University.

Much of Georgetown’s success this year is due to its stellar defense. Entering the match, the Hoyas ranked 18th in the country in goals allowed per game, conceding just more than half a goal per game. 

However, the Hoyas’ offense has been lacking at times. Georgetown entered the match ranked 92nd in the country in goals per game, scoring an average of 1.75. The Hoyas have scored more than two goals in a game only once the entire season, when they demolished the College of William and Mary, 6-0.

Anna Yuan/The Hoya | Georgetown women’s soccer needed overtime for the seventh time this season, eventually settling for a 1-1 draw against the Providence Friars at Shaw Field.

This is the fourth time this season that Georgetown finished a game tied with a score of 1-1. 

The first half began with both teams fighting for possession of the ball in the midfield, with the first major scoring opportunity in the 27th minute. Providence shot the ball toward the middle of the goal, where it was deflected by the stomach of a Georgetown defender. The ball ricocheted toward the bottom corner but barely missed, saving the Hoyas from committing an own goal. The ensuing corner kick proved harmless, and Georgetown soon regained possession of the ball. 

The Hoyas quickly responded with a scoring opportunity of their own. At the 34:52 mark, junior forward Sofie Fox drove the ball toward the bottom right corner of the goal, but a well-timed dive by Friar goalkeeper Emma Bodmer kept the ball from finding the net. 

The last major goal-scoring opportunity of the half came from a missed call. Despite the sideline referee raising the flag for offsides, the head referee allowed play to continue, and Providence was gifted a golden chance to score. With only the goalkeeper to beat, Friar midfielder Ava Brandt drove the ball toward the middle of the goal, but Hoya junior goalkeeper Allie Augur maintained perfect position for the save. 

Georgetown opened the second half full of energy and began a relentless attack against Providence. One minute in, the Hoyas already created an excellent opportunity, but the shot went high of the goal. 

The pressure continued, and, only a few minutes later at 55:11, the Hoyas missed a perfect moment to score. As the ball crossed the field, graduate defender Sydney Cummings positioned herself for the shot on goal. Striking the ball hard, Cummings drove it toward the top of the goal, but it was just inches too high. The ball struck the crossbar and for the moment the score remained tied at 0-0. 

Five minutes later, Georgetown finally got on the board. After two perfectly placed passes by first-year defender Cyanne Doyle and senior defender Jenna Royson, junior midfielder Julia Leas found herself with only the goalkeeper to beat. Leas drove the ball past the goalkeeper into the net, giving the Hoyas a 1-0 lead. 

Georgetown’s lead did not last long. At the 69:17 mark, Providence went on the counter-attack. Forward Meg Hughes drove a high-flying cross into the middle of the box, where the ball struck the head of midfielder Gillian Kenney. Despite a strong save attempt, the ball snuck past Augur and the Friars tied the game, 1-1. 

The score remained tied 1-1 for the remainder of the second half, sending Georgetown to the all-too-familiar overtime period. The Hoyas had already tied five games this season.

The first overtime period saw each team attempt two shots. The Hoyas came close to victory after a shifty move made by junior forward Gia Vicari. After attacking down the left sideline, Vicari quickly changed directions, creating separation between her and the Friar defender. Sadly for Georgetown, Vicari’s shot attempt was well defended by Bodmer. 

In the second overtime period, the closest either side came to scoring occurred when Hughes attempted a shot at the 102:27 mark, but the ball was successfully stopped by Augur. 

Next up for the Hoyas is a Big East showdown against the Butler Bulldogs (10-1-1, 3-0-1 Big East) on Thursday at Shaw Field. Georgetown will look to slow down the hot Butler team, which has won 10 of its last 11 games.