With runners on first and second, down by two in the bottom of the ninth and the go-ahead run at the plate, Georgetown looked poised for a game-winning comeback, but a swinging third strike ended the Hoyas’ hopes for a rally and the first game of their season.

Georgetown (0-3) lost to Northwestern (1-3) 5-3 on Friday in Florida, at the Big East / Big Ten Challenge. It was the beginning of a tough weekend for Georgetown, who lost to Indiana (2-1) 12-4 on Saturday and to Iowa (1-2) 4-2 on Sunday, despite senior co-captain and outfielder Tommy Lee being named to the all-tournament team after an incredible performance at the plate, where he batted 8-for-13 with two doubles, three runs batted in and four runs scored. Despite Lee’s performance, however, the Hoyas couldn’t deliver in the clutch.

“We didn’t get a big hit all weekend, and if we did, we’d be 2-1. We had our chance, that’s for sure,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.

The good news for the Hoyas is that they got quality starts from senior Jimmy Saris and junior Tim Adleman, part of the trio of upperclassmen leading Georgetown’s rotation this year.

Wilk also noted that it is a long season, with many more games to play.

“We play 54 games this year … that’s the beauty of this game,” Wilk said. “In a month, this will be a distant memory. We need to put this behind us and go out and beat Norfolk Wednesday, that’s how we adjust.”

In the opener on Friday, Saris pitched five innings, giving up two runs on six hits while striking out three Wildcats. Sophomore first baseman Dan Capeless provided the Hoyas’ first run of the season with an RBI single in the sixth with the bases loaded, cutting the lead to 2-1. In the ninth, trailing 5-1, senior outfielder Sean Baumann hit a sacrifice fly and, two batters later, Lee drove in another run on a single. Freshman Andy Lentz then struck out to end the game, the ninth strikeout victim of an impressive complete-game performance by Wildcat sophomore pitcher Eric Jokisch.

Against the Indiana Hoosiers on Saturday, Lee and junior second baseman Chip Malt recorded multi-hit games for the Hoyas. The highlight of the game was the team’s first homerun of the season by sophomore catcher Erick Fernandez, a solo-shot in the sixth.

“Fernandez had a good weekend at the plate” Wilk said.

In the final game Sunday morning against the University of Iowa, Tim Adleman started for the Hoyas and allowed four earned runs over six innings, striking out four and walking none. Freshman pitcher Will Harris then entered for his first appearance as a Hoya and shut down the Hawkeyes for two innings, striking out two.

Georgetown had five players with multi-hit games and the Hoyas again started a rally in the ninth, down 4-1, with Fernandez driving in Lee to make it 4-2 and put runners on first and second. However, the next three Georgetown batters struck out to end the game.

“Two out of the three games we put ourselves in great positions to win, but it just didn’t happen. That’s baseball though, hit a potential game-winning line drive, only to see [it hit] right at an opposing player for the last out and a loss,” Lee said. “By no means is our opening series going to determine the overall success of our season. Some great baseball was played and it served as an excellent foundation to build off of to be ready [to] take some wins next weekend in the Davidson Tournament.”

The Hoyas hope to rebound and improve on their experience at Norfolk State on Wednesday at 3 p.m.