The Coffee Issue

Issue Editors: Nikhil Nelson, Clayton Kincade and Ishaan Rai
Issue Contributors: Sofia Wolinski, Caitlin Keffer, Eileen Miller, Gaang Choi, Maeve Pierson, Vaibhavi Mahajan, Alexis Kim, Sanskriti Reddy, Varsha Venkatram and Nikhil Nelson
Issue Designers: Tim Goh, Jimin Lee, Sophie Liu, Natasha Leong, Jasmine Criqui, Ce Mi Lee and Claire Min

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is the-guide-cover-1024x1024.jpg

Caffeine. The entire world is hooked on this stuff, from boulangeries in France serving bold shots of espresso to the corner bodegas of New York waking up the city that never sleeps. People start, end and power their days with drinks ranging from coffee to tea to much more. 

As Georgetown University students, you’re probably all too familiar with the cafes on or near campus. Whether it’s from The Corp locations or Saxbys, coffee can start to taste stale in Washington, D.C., with limited options.

In this semester’s special issue of The Guide, however, we’d like to give you a tour of cafes around the city, from M Street to Capitol Hill. Whether you like the sophistication of a coffee enjoyed with a flaky French pastry or want a classic cup of drip, we’ve got you covered. Read all about the wonderful cafes the District offers — and maybe you’ll find a new favorite in the mix.

Happy drinking.

Georgetown

By Sofia Wolinski and Caitlin Keffer

Title: Blue Bottle Coffee, A Student’s Haven

Address: 1046 Potomac St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20007

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: 5-7 minute walk

Price range/Affordability: $$$

Blue Bottle Coffee is a clean and minimalistic cafe next to the C&O Canal — and a favorite of locals. During warmer months, Blue Bottle Coffee raises part of the wall separating indoor and outdoor seating, creating an unbeatable view of M Street and the canal.

In terms of the drinks, Blue Bottle Coffee is tasty but overpriced. After waiting in a small line, we ordered the hojicha latte, which the barista described as an earthier, stealthier version of matcha. The barista served it in a brown compostable cup with no lid.

The drink itself was satisfactory but slightly bland, considering it cost almost $7. It is also worth noting that Blue Bottle Coffee defaults to using oat milk, the most environmentally conscious dairy, unless the customer asks otherwise.

We also tried two other coffee drinks: the Shakerato and affogato. The Shakerato, which consists of espresso, milk and muscovado shaken over ice, was rich and creamy, but the strong taste of oat milk slightly overpowered the coffee. The affogato, an espresso shot poured over vanilla ice cream, had a bold, earthy undertone. The downside, however, was that both drinks cost a shocking $9.

Overall, Blue Bottle Coffee has a calming energy, acting as a refuge from the hubbub of M Street. It is very pro-environment, using all compostable materials and oat milk. The cafe was full of people quietly working, so it is a great place to study if you are willing to slightly overpay for a cup of coffee. 

Title: Café Georgetown, Picturesque and Highly Instagrammable

Address: 3141 N St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20007

Coffee rating:  ★★★★☆

Distance from campus: 5-7 minute walk

Price range/Affordability: $$$

Café Georgetown is known for its picture-perfect lattes — and for good reason. Equipped with a custom latte foam art machine, Café Georgetown allows customers to choose from a variety of custom designs to be printed on their hot and cold beverages. 

Café Georgetown has both an outdoor and indoor sitting area, but beware — do not bring your computer. The cafe is a laptop-free environment aimed at facilitating social connections! Additionally, there is no public Wi-Fi, and the cell service inside the establishment is poor.

We ordered a pumpkin spice latte with custom foam art and were pleasantly surprised. The latte arrived quickly and looked beautiful with a golden pumpkin sketched on top. The drink itself was tasty; however, most of my enjoyment came from the aesthetically pleasing foam art. 

The pastries in the shop were also a nice complement to the drinks, and I enjoyed a raspberry and cream cheese-filled turnover. Like Blue Bottle, the prices are high, with a drink and treat totaling nearly $15.

Visiting Café Georgetown was a fun experience, but it is not a coffee shop for studying or saving money. That being said, Café Georgetown achieves its advertised goal: an aesthetically pleasing place to pass time, sip coffee and perhaps meet new friends. 

Title: Boulangerie Christophe, An Indulgent Delight

Address: 1422 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20007

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: 5-7 minute walk

Price range/Affordability: $$

Boulangerie Christophe is a local authentic French bakery with a stunning array of homemade goods and espresso drinks. Striving to emulate the “cozy” dining experience of cafes in Saint-Tropez, this bistro fosters a warm environment with several tables both indoors and outdoors. 

There is, however, often a bustling line all the way out the door during peak times on the weekends, so it may not be the most suitable option for productive studying. 

Adorned throughout the cafe are explanations of the “superior quality” ingredients that the bakers use to make their homemade bread: flour and butter imported from France.

Obviously, we then had to try one of their fresh croissants. Flaky on the outside yet soft on the inside, it certainly lived up to the high expectations. It was also reasonably priced at $3.90 — no more than you would pay for a croissant from Starbucks or The Corp. 

The espresso itself was great and also priced very well, though it was nothing extraordinary. In other words, we would not send someone to try Boulangerie Christophe solely for the sake of trying some specific coffee drink, but rather, to splurge on one of its homemade French crepes, bread, creme brulees, eclairs or tarts. 

Overall, Boulangerie Christophe is the perfect oasis if you are looking to escape the Hilltop for a few hours for the serenity of France.

Title: Bourbon Coffee, Tasty With A Story

Address: 1919 N. Lynn St., Arlington, Va. 22209

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: 20-25 minute walk

Price range/Affordability: $$

Although not technically in Georgetown, Bourbon Coffee sits right across the water from campus, offering a selection of high-quality Rwandan coffee and an escape from the hustle and bustle of D.C. The unpretentious storefront offers a modest selection of pastries, but what you really want here is the coffee. 

Selected from five growing regions in Rwanda, each bean carries a distinct flavor profile and intensity. The Kizi Rift and Akagera blends are grown at lower altitudes and exhibit fruity, aromatic notes, not unlike tea. These variants are grown in Central and Southeast Rwanda and make for delicious hot and iced drip coffees.

Altogether, Bourbon Coffee’s prices were consistent with what one would expect in D.C. — not overly expensive (cheaper than Blue Bottle Coffee) but certainly not cheap. It’s also worth noting that the drip coffee here is good enough that you won’t need to spend much to have a quality cup.

Bourbon Cofee is a great spot for those who appreciate coffee — and love to know where their cup originates. The company prides itself on its ethical sourcing practices and has the ultimate goal of helping economically empower Rwandans. Thus, you can drink your coffee guilt-free knowing Bourbon Coffee utilizes direct trading and fair wage practices. One day, they hope to bring their country’s top export to the forefront of the coffee scene.

Dupont Circle

By Eileen Miller, Gaang Choi and Maeve Pierson

Title: Tatte, A Bustling Bistro with Israeli Roots

Address: 1301 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: five to seven minute walk from the Dupont Circle GUTS bus stop or 15 minutes by bike from Georgetown’s front gates

Price range/Affordability: $$

There’s a reason Tatte’s eight locations around D.C. maintain a constant crowd throughout the day. Tatte’s Dupont cafe, located on Connecticut Ave., is the perfect spot to meet a friend for breakfast, brunch or just a pastry.

Upon entry, a customer’s eyes naturally drift to the pastry case stacked high with sugar-dusted confections, sesame seed sprinkled Jerusalem bagels and fresh sourdough loaves. 

The Tatte experience, however, is not the most relaxing. We would recommend taking a peek at the menu before your arrival to avoid an impulsive decision in the chaos that is a weekend morning at Tatte. If the weather is nice, sitting outside is one way to avoid the cafe’s potentially overwhelming energy. Despite this, the table-finding experience is analogous to winning the lottery. 

The coffee bar, its own entity, sits in the middle of the cafe. Lattes and cappuccinos alike emerge — topped with elegant foam leaves — but make sure you are paying attention as the bustle and clatter of plates, voices and movement may distract from the fact your order is ready.

Tatte’s drip coffee is full-bodied and smooth, with brightness and some bite, due to the higher level of caffeine resulting from an 18+ hour steep. The nitro cold brew is silky and rich, packing quite the punch in a 16-ounce cup. The coffee prices are pretty standard for an upscale cafe in D.C., ranging from $4 to $6 for most drinks. 

We have yet to be disappointed by something ordered at Tatte. If you are willing to brave the bustle for the reward of delighting your tastebuds and becoming the main character of your day, Tatte is certainly worth a trip.

Title: Emissary, Classic and Cozy Coffee House

Address: 2032 P St NW, Washington, DC 20036

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: one minute walk from the Dupont Circle GUTS bus stop, or 10-12 minutes by bike from Georgetown front gates

Price range/Affordability: $$

Emissary — an unassuming cafe — is brewing quite a quality cup of coffee. Upon entry to the shop, customers face a simple counter featuring the Emissary’s primary workhorse: the espresso machine. 

Emissary is cozy and boasts three organic pour-over varieties in addition to espresso drinks, house-made chai, hot chocolate, teas and seasonal drinks. On the food front, you can choose from modern American breakfast fares such as avocado toast featuring organic greens or the yogurt parfait topped with homemade granola.

Four bar stools rest under a marble counter, facing out the window to the busy P Street. These stools are an ideal spot to people-watch, or in our case, to get some work done. If the weather is nice, Emissary offers numerous tables outside — the perfect place to take in the Dupont action, cappuccino in hand. Speaking of which, Emissary makes a mean oat milk cappuccino: a dainty latte-art leaf, akin to the wrapping paper on a present. 

The first sip is a reminder that there is, in fact, a difference between the typical whisked medium-hot coffee from “good coffee.” Strong notes of cacao, caramel and fruit prevail in the taste of Emissary’s espresso. 

While our cappuccino was not a cheap eight ounces of liquid at $4.50, one could argue that, on occasion, it is worth treating oneself to the high-quality stuff. 

Title: Un Je Ne Sais Quoi, Solid Coffee with a French Flair

Address: 1361 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036

Coffee rating: ★★★★☆

Distance from campus: three-minute walk from the Dupont Circle GUTS bus stop

Price range/Affordability: $

If your Paris study abroad application got rejected, do not despair! Perched on the edge of the Dupont Circle roundabout, you can find a cozy French patisserie that makes you feel as if you’ve stepped into a storybook: Un Je Ne Sais Quoi.

The coffee is an Illy roast — which is admittedly something you can get at Epicurean — but it is pleasantly smooth and light, especially when you get a lily-pad-shaped bit of cream art on the top of your latte to bless your lips. While it is not the best coffee ever, it is very solid and reliable, with a thin body, sweet aroma and a hint of almond.

Another option, the chai latte, arrives in a mug topped with a field of cream-colored foam. Take a sip and enjoy everything you want out of a chai latte: milky delight with a lightly spiced kick. 

The pain au chocolat is perfectly crispy and melt-in-your-mouth delicious, served on a plate with gold leaf details that make you feel like royalty. The signature Merveilleux de Majestueux, two meringues with cream inside and crumb coating the outside, is also puffy, creamy and crispy in all the right places.

With the small space and smattering of different seating offerings — a pair of tete-a-tete tables, a couple of low velvet and nature-patterned settees and a high-top table by the window — Un Je Ne Sais Quoi is geared more towards coffee dates than study sessions. The interior design’s little flairs of personality are just quirky enough to be charming without taking away from the patisserie’s essential elegance.

Capitol Hill

By Vaibhavi Mahajan and Alexis Kim

Title: Wine & Butter Market, Unique and Parisian

Address: 1023 E Capitol St SE, Washington, DC 20003

Coffee rating: ★★★★☆

Distance from campus: 20-minute drive or 30-minute bike ride from Georgetown University

Price range/Affordability: $$

Wine & Butter brings Parisian flair right to our nation’s capital. From the “Patisserie” signs hanging around the shop to its quaint fountain, this is an ideal spot for an outdoor coffee date on a warm day. 

Beyond the seating near the front of the shop, there is a quaint garden tucked behind that offers additional space. It is important to note that Wine & Butter only has outdoor seating and is relatively close to the road. If you are looking for a cafe to study in, Wine & Butter may be a bit too loud for your purposes. This cafe is more for conversation than for cramming for an exam. 

We decided to order an iced white chocolate mocha and the mysterious “cro’gel” — half croissant, half bagel — to be our tools of measure. The total came out to be $9.87 for both items before tipping, which is a great price considering the size of both the coffee and pastry. 

The white chocolate mocha was creamy and sweet, directed at those with a sweet tooth. The best item ended up being the cro’gel, which was a buttery, salty, and croissant shaped, seasoned like an everything bagel. The menu contains a variety of coffee and pastry options, but the menu provides limited options for tea and only two seasonal drinks. 

Title: Jacob’s Coffeehouse, Holiday Charm and Breakfast Fare

Address: 401 8th St NE, Washington, DC 20002

Coffee rating: ★★★☆☆

Distance from campus: 30-minute drive or 40-minute bike ride from Georgetown University

Price range/Affordability: $$$

Going inside Jacob’s Coffeehouse feels like stepping into the holiday season: the warm lighting inside the shop, complete with cozy tones of red, off-white and brown, give off a great autumnal spirit. Hints of Christmas can even be seen with winter berries scattered through the shop, creating a serene atmosphere.

Although Jacob’s Coffeehouse is outdoors and close to a road, the road is relatively quiet; calming classical music drifts from the speakers to the umbrella-covered tables outside. This is a good study spot if you want to venture outside for the day and don’t mind a moderate amount of noise.

We opted for a 20 oz iced cafe latte and an Asiago bagel with cream cheese, totaling $11.03. A little bit on the pricier side, these items were both good: the coffee was relatively rich, and the bagel was warm and a good size. However, they were quite standard and unremarkable. 

Jacob’s Coffeehouse offers its real variety beyond just coffees and teas. They include a breakfast and lunch menu as well as frappuccinos, smoothies and bubble teas. Pumpkin spice is, of course, on the menu. However, they do not accept cash, so make sure to bring a card!

Title: Ebenezer’s Coffeehouse, A True Coffee Experience

Address: 201 F St NE, Washington, DC 20002

Coffee rating: ★★★★☆

Distance from campus: 15 minutes by car and 25 minutes on bike from Georgetown University

Price range/Affordability: $$

Ebenezer’s Coffeehouse is the definition of a Washington, D.C.coffeehouse. A map of the District takes up a whole wall — and there is a recreation of a lamppost and street signs inside — making it an ideal location to take people from out of town. 

The decor is dark, chic and industrial, and the lighting and decor are perfect for pictures. Ebenezer’s is an active environment where people socialize, study and work, with ample seating both indoors and outdoors. When the place is packed, the noise can get a little loud, but during the week and off-peak hours, it can be a great place to study — or read that book you’ve had on your shelf since August. 

Shifting the focus to the food and drink, we tried the seasonal pumpkin pie latte and the matcha bing cookie. The total for these items was $8.32 before tipping, so the prices were reasonable, though the latte was small. 

The coffee was well-balanced, being more pumpkin-forward than spice-forward. The cookie was buttery, salty-sweet, chewy and crispy on the edges, with a strong matcha flavor.

The menu has both basic coffee and tea options and numerous specialty drinks — something missing from the other shops. You can even purchase a “puppuchino” for your dog! There is also a small selection of unique sweet and savory pastries, as well as slightly overpriced merchandise, for sale. 

Adams Morgan

By Sanskriti Reddy and Varsha Venkatram

Title: Tryst, D.C.’s Hustle and Bustle with a Sense of Community

Address: 2459 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20009

Coffee rating: ★★★☆☆

Distance from campus: 20 minutes by car or a 20-minute walk from GUTS bus stop

Price range/Affordability: $$-$$$

Washington, D.C neighborhood Adams Morgan is centered on lending a hand to your neighbor. Having tried four cafes, we can firmly say AdMo loves its coffee — there is something here for everyone.

Tryst is well suited for those who enjoy commotion. Service is efficient, the drink selection is plenty and you almost always can find a seat. Known for the two animal crackers they serve with each drink, Tryst serves as a central gathering place for AdMo’s community. It’s also the best place on our list for studying; most patrons are there to utilize the free wifi and restrooms to work or study. 

Beverages are $3 to $7, and baked goods and brunch range from $3 to $15 per item, depending on whether you want a full plate or pastry. The menu is expansive, ranging from baked goods to actual food and cocktails. For instance, you can try their caramel apple latte, nectar tea,  snickerdoodle cookies or numerous bagels.

The coffee at Tryst is sourced from the eponymous trading company, but ultimately their lattes are pretty standard. As for tea, The Chaucer’s Cup, one of Tryst’s many specialty teas with apple, cinnamon and ginger notes, was unfortunately not our “cup of tea.” However, the drink is the perfect blend for the fall season! Their tea options are exciting, though, particularly their London Fog and Rooibos Lattes.

Title: D Light Cafe,Great Coffee for a Great Cause

Address: 2475 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20009

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: 20 minutes by car or a 20-minute walk from Dupont Circle GUTS bus stop

Price range/Affordability: $$-$$$$

D Light Cafe, founded by two Ukrainian sisters, is perfect for brunch with a friend or a quick coffee; the sisters’ hard work and friendliness has cemented D Light Cafe as a neighborhood staple. 

Light, bright and airy, the walls of the cafe, which celebrated its one year anniversary on Oct. 26, features works from local artists who auction their pieces off in support of the war efforts in Ukraine. 

Beverages range from $2.50 to $4.8 with brunch ranging from $12 to $20. The menu is a fusion of Eastern European-inspired breakfast and lunch dishes, specialty coffees and teas, desserts and baked goods aplenty. We recommend the savory oatmeal or one of their delicious pastries, like their cottage cheesecakes, shakshuka or pain au chocolat. 

Their drinks are exotic, ranging from a pink dream latte to a cherry-flavored-popcorn latte. We had the Nut Raf latte, which was delicious and tasted like the name. Note, you cannot substitute the milk options in this specialty latte due to company policy, though it is unclear why. 

D Light also offers homemade teas that feel like fall in a cup: the Honey-Pear tea was sweet and spicy — and nothing like we have ever had before.

Title: Soleluna, Special and Worldly Coffee Drinks

Address: 1787 Columbia Rd NW, Washington, DC 20009

Coffee rating: ★★★☆☆

Distance from campus: 20 minutes by car or a 20-minute walk from the Dupont Circle GUTS bus stop

Price range/Affordability: $

Soleluna is perfect for coffee connoisseurs, with coffee sourced from Ecuador, featuring a honey-washed medium roast from Loja and a dark roast from Manabi. 

There are two slim tables inside with two seats each — not suited for long study periods. The tables outdoors are perfectly positioned for people-watching. Note that the baristas queue a wonderful selection of Spanish hits, and you cannot resist but sing along. 

Most beverages were around $3 — on par for the area — and baked goods were sold-out the day we went, but they are supposedly homemade. This cafe is also one of the few places to get a proper freddo cappuccino, or iced cappuccino, which is woody with a hint of chocolate. It is stronger than most drinks in the area. 

Soleluna offered a beautiful space, and the iced black tea we had was uniquely smoky and earthy, but the place is more centered on quality coffee than a quality environment. 

To-Go

By Nikhil Nelson

Quick takes on some of the other notable spots in the area:

Grace Street Coffee: Coffee, bikes, and more

Neighborhood: Georgetown 

Coffee rating: ★★★★☆

Distance from campus: 5-minute walk from campus

The Coffee Bar: Classic neighborhood cafe

Neighborhood: Dupont 

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: 10-minute walk from the GUTS bus stop

Bluestone Lane: Hearty brunch and smooth lattes

Neighborhood: Dupont 

Coffee rating: ★★★★☆

Distance from campus: 5-minute walk from the GUTS bus stop

Ala Coffee and More: Brunch and coffee with a Middle Eastern touch

Neighborhood: Dupont 

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

The Wydown Cafe: Inventive pastries and classic coffee drinks

Neighborhood: Adams Morgan/14th Street 

Coffee rating: ★★★★★

Distance from campus: 10-minute drive or 20-minute bike ride