7 McCarthy Residents Robbed

The McCarthy Hall residences of seven students were reportedly robbed early Saturday evening.Thieves entered through unlocked doors and stole a number of possessions, including residents’ laptops, cell phones, an iPod, shoes and sunglasses, according to Department of Public Safety Associate Director Joseph Smith.

Third-floor chaplain-in-residence Michael Dante said he and his wife were following their yearly tradition of distributing candy to residents early on the evening of Halloween when they saw students talking to DPS officers. More DPS officers arrived on the scene later that evening, Dante added.

cCarthy Hall resident Elizabeth Johnston (COL ’12) said two youths opened her unlocked room Saturday evening.

“I was in my room and my door was closed but unlocked. Two kids holding black bags opened my door, mumbled `trick or treat,’ then immediately left.”

There is an ongoing investigation of the incident in which the Metropolitan Police Department is taking a leading role, according to Smith.

No Public Safety Alert had been posted on the DPS Web site or sent to the university community at press time. At least one resident assistant in McCarthy Hall, however, sent e-mails to their residents warning them about the thefts, McCarthy Hall faculty-in-residence Marilyn McMorrow said.

“It’s not surprising that [this incident] might happen on Halloween,” McMorrow said. She said there appeared to be additional security personnel in the building even before the thefts took place.

“It’s disheartening to see a criminal element on an evening when people just want to have fun,” Dante said.”