A Perfect Blend of Competitors

For those of you who don’t take eccentric music with your coffee, there’s a new option on campus: the new Starbucks in the Leavey Center. Opened last week, the spacious coffee shop near the Marriott Georgetown University Conference Center features comfortable seating and a jazzy atmosphere. Though the hours don’t necessarily correspond to those most students keep – the Starbucks is open from 6:30 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday – it offers welcome competition to The Corp’s monopoly of on-campus coffee options.

Of course, the new Starbucks will serve somewhat different patrons than does The Corp. Given its proximity to Georgetown University Hospital, the Medical Center campus and the Marriott, it presumably wasn’t built solely for the benefit of undergraduate students. After examining the site, however, it’s clear that students have found a suitable new outlet for fulfilling their caffeine cravings.

For students who complain about The Corp’s poor service or inferior quality, they may now spend their money elsewhere. For those who prefer a more peaceful study environment, Starbucks is a fresh alternative to other on-campus locations.

In the end, this new coffee option will not only help customers: In the long run, it will better The Corp’s ability to live up to its mission, “students serving students.” If The Corp finds that Starbucks is drawing away too much of its revenue, it will be forced to take a closer look at its own operations. The Corp can solicit more feedback and tailor its services and atmosphere to the students who sustain it.

The Corp certainly has a niche clientele; few coffee shops have baristas who are in class with their customers (and few coffee shops can get away with blaring ’90s pop music). But in some respects, the foothold The Corp has on the Hilltop could stand a little more competition. Ultimately, such competition serves all students.

To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact opinionthehoya.com. Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.