Coy McKoy Swings for the Kill

Name: Kiersten McKoySport: Volleyball

Position: Right side hitter/middle blocker

Hometown: Oakland, Calif.

High School: Bishop O’Dowd High School

School/Year: MSB ’10

ajor: International Business

High School Career: Won two consecutive HAAL League Championships in 2004 and 2005 and appeared in the 2005 State Semifinals.

GU Career: As a freshman, finished third on the team with a .225 hitting percentage. Last year, recorded 115 kills, good for fifth on the team.

Freshman residence hall: New South. I really liked having my own sink, especially since I have to be up early for practice. My room was at the very end of the hall far away from the bathroom, so it was definitely easier having a sink in the room.

Who’s the team joker? Probably Pao [sophomore setter Paola Annoni], one of our captains. She definitely likes to talk a lot and definitely likes to tell a lot of stories.

Whom on the team do you depend on the most? [Senior setter] Caitlin Boland, who is our other captain. I look up to her a lot.

Do you have any superstitions? As a team, we sing Mariah Carey’s “Always Be My Baby” before a game. We really get into it; we get the claps going and the dance moves going. And then we go out by the court and sing the fight song.

Best moment in your career? Signing the letter to come to Georgetown.

Our last Spotlight was on a football player who is a model in his spare time. Do you do anything interesting we wouldn’t normally know about? Actually, I used to be a model when I was younger. I did little commercials here and there and appearances – I was on `Nash Bridges’ as a little girl riding on her bike, and I was on a box for Barbie. I also danced for 12 years. My mom put me in dance when I was two; the only reason I quit was because of sports.

What type of dance did you do? I did tap for all 12 years and in the middle I did a little hip-hop. I started belly dancing last spring too, which is a lot of fun and really different from what people usually think it is.

Hardest class at Georgetown? Accounting I. It’s pretty rough.

If you could be good at any other sport, what would it be, and why? Basketball. I played basketball my entire life up to college. I love the sport – I’ve been around it forever. My dad actually used to be an agent. He was Jerome Williams’ agent too; he’s a Georgetown alum.

Do you go to the Georgetown basketball games? I go to the games all the time. I have a few friends on the basketball team, we hang out a lot. They’re a bunch of goofballs. I got a call from Jessie Sapp once and he just goes, “Hey, are you in your room?” and I said, “Yeah, why?” and he’s like, “Just wondering.” He hangs up, then knocks on my door and opens full blast fire on me with his water gun. And then, DaJuan [Summers] and Vernon [Macklin] come in and it’s the three of them shooting at me in the middle of my room. They’re really sneaky. You gotta watch out for them.

Who’s your favorite athlete? Kobe Bryant. I’m a huge fan of Kobe – there’s a huge poster of him right in front of my bed, I have posters at home of him. He’s the best.

Biggest Inspiration? I know it’s cliché, but it’s got to be my mom. My dad makes fun of me all the time and says I’m exactly like my mom, but I think it’s great. She’s amazing, everyone loves her. She’s definitely my best friend.

Booey’s or Wisey’s? Wiseys, for sure. The burger madness is really, really good.

– Interview and photograph by Hijab Shah.