Fighting Irish Smother Hoyas’ Attack

Split the weekend.

Throughout its 15-day road trip, Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan has stressed that his team needs to break even in its four games. After losing 3-0 Friday night at Notre Dame (8-4-1, 6-0-0 Big East), the Hoyas (10-4-0, 3-3-0 Big East) rebounded with a 1-0 win over DePaul (4-10-1, 1-6-0 Big East) to finish the road trip with a 2-2 record.

“It’s huge splitting the games because now we have more wins than last season and we have almost doubled our wins in conference from last season,” Nolan said.

On Friday night Georgetown traveled to South Bend, Ind., to take on Notre Dame, one of the hottest teams in the country. The Irish came into the game having won four in a row, outscoring opponents 14-2 over that span.

The Hoyas had two early opportunities, but the veteran Irish struck first with a goal from junior forward Brittany Bock in the 25th minute. Bock headed in the pass from last year’s national freshman of the year, sophomore forward Michele Weissenhofer, to give Notre Dame a 1-0 advantage at halftime.

Georgetown struggled, putting just one shot on goal to Notre Dame’s 18, but Nolan said that he thought the team’s game plan worked nonetheless.

“It’s tough going out to Notre Dame and playing is always difficult, but we actually played very well,” he said. “We had a game plan to limit what they do well and we did. So offensively we didn’t struggle necessarily, but to go out to Notre Dame and beat them you need to play a certain way and we set out to do that.”

Georgetown sat back and tried to stop the potent Irish offense and waited for opportunities to counter, but in the second half Notre Dame did not give them any opportunities. The Irish managed 10 shots in the second half including five on goal.

In the 54th minute Notre Dame sophomore midfielder Courtney Rosen scored her first goal of the season to put the Irish up 2-0. Bock finished the scoring 14 minutes later when she scored from ten yards out. It was her second goal of the game and her eighth of the season.

After Friday’s disappointing loss, Georgetown traveled to Chicago to play DePaul. The Blue Demons came into the game on a four-game losing streak and looking for an upset.

DePaul’s Wish Field is seen as one of the best home field advantages in the Big East. The artificial surface gives bounces that are not seen on many other fields, and its location between buildings gives the perception of a smaller field. But Georgetown’s offense came out firing, recording nine shots in the first half to DePaul’s two. The Hoyas were not able to reach the back of the net, however, and the teams went into halftime in a scoreless tie.

In the 54th minute senior forward Sara Jordan sent a cross from right to left to senior defender Karen Waskewich who ripped a shot past freshman goalkeeper Kelsey Hoinkes to put the Hoyas up 1-0. That was all freshman goalkeeper Jackie DesJardin would need as she recorded two saves for her sixth shutout of the season.

The win gave Georgetown 10 wins for the fourth time in the last seven years. The Hoyas also surpassed last season’s conference win total.

“The seniors are setting the bar high for the classes below them,” Nolan said. “We got two winnable games this weekend, including Friday against West Virginia which could have NCAA tournament implications.”

The Hoyas play West Virginia at 3 p.m. on Friday at North Kehoe Field.