Georgetown Classic Opens Hoyas’ Tough Fall Schedule

The Georgetown men’s tennis team hosted the annual Georgetown Classic exhibition tournament this weekend against the University of Pennsylvania, The George Washington University, James Madison University, Howard University and Lehigh University.

In the end, the Hoyas came away empty-handed.

GWU senior Yan Levinski emerged as the singles champion, defeating Penn junior Phil Law, 6-2, 6-1 in the title match. Levinski, who defeated Georgetown junior Michael Clarke, 6-0, 6-2 in the semis, did not lose a set in the tournament.

Clarke fared slightly better in the doubles tournament as he and freshman Casey Distaso reached the finals before losing to Lehigh seniors Collin Laffey and Troy List, 8-2.

Although they failed to win either competition over the weekend, the Hoyas return many key players from last year’s team that advanced to the Big East conference tournament. The veterans are headlined by recently named captain senior Bryan Miller, who was 2-2 last year, and alternate captain junior Andrew Bruhn, who posted a 9-8 record a year ago. Miller and Bruhn also had some success as doubles partners, going 7-11 over the course of the season.

The Hoyas will be without the graduated trio of Will Lowell, Anthony Tan and David Tillem but can count on several other veterans to fill their shoes. Upperclassmen like senior Tim Walsh and juniors Clarke, Rafael Notario, Mieszko Tomczyk and Brian Ward are ready to step in and produce this fall.

With the Georgetown Classic behind them, the Hoyas are next scheduled to play in the Navy Invitational over Columbus Day weekend and in the ITA Regional tournament Oct. 20-24.