Georgetown Drops Pair of Matches in North Carolina

Georgetown must have felt like it was watching a rerun this weekend in North Carolina.

For the second straight weekend, the Hoyas (0-4) lost their first game of the weekend 3-2 and then got blown out in their second contest.

This time, it was Davidson (2-2) who downed Georgetown 3-2 on Friday and North Carolina (2-2) who beat up the Hoyas 11-0 on Sunday.

Against Davidson, Georgetown fell behind 2-0 in the first half, and Wildcats sophomore goalkeeper Christa Goeke made four saves in the first half to keep the Hoyas off of the scoreboard.

Georgetown came out of halftime firing, though. At 47:46, sophomore forward Micaela O’Toole took a feed from freshman midfielder Meggie Taylor and buried a shot in the left corner. Fifteen minutes later, senior defender Ashton Hospodar sent a pass through the circle that found junior forward Kristen Volpe. With eight minutes to go in the game, Volpe scored from the middle of the field.

“Those were two of the nicest goals I’ve seen,” Georgetown Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said. “They helped us get the momentum.”

O’Toole leads the Hoyas in both goals and points on the young season, with two scores and one assist for five total points through the first four games.

Sophomore midfielder Clare Perry was the hero of the day for Davidson, however, registering the game-winning goal with 2:33 left on the clock. Perry got through on a breakaway and put the ball to the right of Georgetown senior goalkeeper Dee Crovo.

“It shows the competitiveness of the team,” Marsh said of the Hoyas’ ability to come back in games. “They don’t give up, and they fought back. We just got a little unlucky with Davidson scoring in the last two and a half minutes.”

Crovo made six saves for Georgetown on the day.

Four players – Volpe, Taylor, O’Toole and senior forward Maggie Farrand – all had three shots in the game. On the match, the Wildcats outshot the Hoyas 15-12.

The contest was Davidson’s home-opener on Belk Turf Field, and it also marked the Wildcats’ first win of the season.

Sunday, Georgetown traveled to Chapel Hill, N.C., to face a strong North Carolina side. The Tar Heels raced out to an eight-goal lead in the first half and did not look back, holding the shutout through the second half.

On the game, North Carolina outshot Georgetown 32-1.

Despite the lopsided margin, Marsh was pleased with the play of freshman Ai Nishino, who she said performed well despite tough matchups with more experienced North Carolina players.

Crovo made seven saves in the face of the Tar Heel barrage.

“Dee played well against Davidson, and she was facing very good forwards with North Carolina,” Marsh said. “She’s getting ready for the Big East.”

Next up for Georgetown is its home-opener. The Hoyas will play Northwestern Thursday at 7 p.m. at College Park, Md. Georgetown plays its home contests at Maryland’s Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex.

A day later, Georgetown will be back in action as it plays host to Lehigh. Last year, the Hoyas lost a heartbreaker at the hands of Lehigh, falling 5-4 in overtime.