Georgetown Trampled By Bison In Extra Period

The third time was not the charm.

No amount of superstition could deliver Georgetown a win on Saturday at Bucknell, as the Bison pushed past the Hoyas to win 3-2 in the 82nd minute in Lewisburg, Pa. For Georgetown (2-7, 0-1 Big East), it was the third overtime loss this season.

“What’s hard about Saturday is that’s the best we’ve played all season,” Hoyas’ interim Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said. “That’s the first time we’ve really all played together as a team, and our team hockey was so much better. They really stepped up and played very well, so that was the only thing that made it okay at the end of the game.”

Georgetown had a strong start to the game, as junior midfielder Katie Lachman caught a deflection off of a Bucknell (6-3, 0-0 Patriot League) defender and sent it to the back of the net in the 25th minute to give the Hoyas a 1-0 lead.

The score remained steady going into halftime, although both teams took five shots each at goal and earned three corners each. Georgetown junior goalkeeper Deirdre Crovo made one save while Bucknell sophomore goalkeeper Jessie Atieh stopped three.

“In the first half, the girls came out with a lot of energy, playing really smart, and that’s the best half of hockey that we’ve played all season,” Marsh said. “The second half got a little iffy with us, which is why [Bucknell] got a few goals.”

The Bison came out charging in the second period, and it took them just nine minutes to score two goals and snatch the lead. The equalizer came from junior forward Trina Boyer, who knocked in an assist by senior midfielder Kelly Hoffman at the 46 minute mark. Just eight minutes later, junior defender Amanda Faust’s pass found the stick of junior midfielder Emily Hutchinson who promptly made the score 2-1.

“They put a lot of pressure on us and I think it just took us a little bit by surprise,” Marsh said. “But as soon as we calmed down at the end of the second half, it was fine.”

Georgetown wasted no time in replying, and in the 57th minute, junior forward Maggie Farrand slid in a solo effort past the Bucknell goalkeeper to equalize the score.

The second period progressed without a change in score, but with noticeable pressure from the Bison. The Hoyas took three shots at goal and earned one corner, while the Bison replied with eight shots and seven corners. Both goalkeepers made a save each, and the unchanged score took the teams into overtime.

The teams battled it out in the extra period, but the Bison came out victorious in the 82nd minute as Hoffman nudged in an assist from teammate senior forward Chyncia Smith, breaking Hoya hearts and helping Bucknell to a hard-fought victory.

“Even though the outcome wasn’t exactly what we wanted,” Marsh said, “we are where we need to be as we’re getting into the heart of the season right now. I couldn’t be happier with the progress that the team’s made in the last couple of weeks.”

Fortunately for the Hoyas, they return to their “home” field in College Park for their next tilt.

“For the next game we’re back at home where we don’t have a three hour bus ride right before a game, and it’s Big East, so the girls are all really excited, and they’ll be up for the challenge,” Marsh said.

The Hoyas face their next Big East opponent Friday at home at 5 p.m. as Syracuse (8-2, 1-1) looks for its second Big East win.