GU Misfires, Stagnates On Offense

The D.C. Derby ended in defeat for the home crowd as Georgetown failed to score for the eighth time this season, falling 2-0 to down-the-road George Washington.

The side from Foggy Bottom had to fight for the victory as a slew of cards and hard hits made the match a tough one and an even tougher defeat to swallow for the Hoyas.

“This game is one of the only ones we don’t feel good about,” Georgetown (3-8, 2-4 Big East) Head Coach Brian Weise said. “I thought we’d been playing really well and today we took a step back as far as what we’re doing as a team. We lost our discipline; we looked young. If we’re against a good team, we’re gonna pay for it, and GW is a good team.”

The starting minutes of the match saw the Hoyas dominate possession and create pressure on the Colonials’ (6-4, 0-0) goal, as freshmen midfielder Robert Burnett and forward Chandler Diggs took early shots, only to be thwarted by Colonials junior keeper Matt Scheer. Diggs continued to impress as the game went on, dazzling the crowd with a couple of busting runs into the box, partnered up on the wing by speedy sophomore midfielder Scott Larrabee.

George Washington eventually picked up the pace and created a few chances of their own to rival those of Georgetown, with senior forward Abimbola Pedro controlling the long balls being fed to him and giving the Hoya back four problems with long runs.

The first half resulted in no goals, with both teams statistically almost neck and neck. The Hoyas’ seven shots and six fouls were rivaled by eight shots and seven fouls from the Colonials, while Hoya freshman keeper Matthew Brutto saved one and Scheer was forced into saving three.

Each team earned a yellow card in the 21st minute after a confrontation between Georgetown’s junior midfielder Conor Neusel and GW’s sophomore midfielder Mike Briscowe. There was a scare soon after in the 23rd minute when Diggs was upended and had to be taken off the field, but he returned after halftime. Sophomore defender Len Coleman also went into the referee’s book a minute before halftime for a rough challenge on a GW midfielder.

Georgetown had a couple of early chances at the start of the second half, their best opportunity coming in the 50th minute, when freshman midfielder Seth C’deBaca’s near-post chip fell to Diggs who could only manage to hit the crossbar. Three minutes later, another opportunity was wasted away by the Hoyas as three different people attempted to head, kick or tap in the ball off a corner kick from point-blank range but somehow could not push the ball across the goal line.

“[George Washington’s] goalie played well and kept them in,” Weise said. “He made a couple of great saves today.”

That perhaps was the turning point of the game as from then on, the Colonials marked their territory and in the 55th minute scored their first goal from 23 yards out thanks to a ripper from sophomore midfielder George Garcia, assisted by Stadler.

Other than a 63rd minute booking earned by the Colonials’ Garcia, there was a lull in play as the Hoyas attempted to pick themselves up from the initial shock and continue playing their game. With the shock hardly worn off, Pedro collected a neat through ball from sophomore midfielder Erick Perez-Segnini, shook off his defender, and put it in the back of the net for a 73rd-minute insurance goal.

“We have been spending so much time trying to score goals in training the last two weeks,” Weise said, “that we haven’t done a lot with defense, and we were giving up some chances that we haven’t been giving up all year. There’s a lot of basics from our point of view that we have to work on. We have to tidy things up a little bit.”

There was nothing much that the Hoyas could do after that, despite the last-ditch efforts of the players up front, and they succumbed to their city rivals 2-0.

Georgetown’s next game is away from home in Morgantown, W.Va., as they face off with West Virginia (7-4, 3-3) on Saturday at 7 p.m.