Hoya Weekend Ruined By Villanova and Buckness Losses

It was another weekend to forget for a young Georgetown squad.

The Hoyas (0-14, 0-3 Big East) were defeated by rival Villanova 5-0 Friday night at Villanova Stadium and were outmatched against Bucknell in a 3-1 loss Sunday afternoon at the University of Maryland Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex.

Georgetown dug itself into an early hole at Villanova, surrendering two goals in the opening six minutes of the match. The Wildcats continued to build their lead as Abby Sordini capitalized on a penalty corner in the 20th minute, giving Villanova a comfortable 3-0 advantage. Senior goalkeeper Dee Crovo managed eight saves in the losing effort, but the Hoya offense failed to convert on several opportunities, as it was unable to score on any of its eight shots.

The team showed improvement against Bucknell on Sunday, but the Hoyas were overcome by a fierce second-half push from the Bison. Trailing after a closely contested first half, Georgetown junior Kristen Volpe scored on a penalty corner early in the second half to knot the score at 1-1. But the Bison, who managed 10 second-half shots, quickly answered eight minutes later with a goal from Trina Boyer, which put Bucknell up for good. Boyer, who was responsible for all three Bison goals, capitalized again in the 65th minute to put the Hoyas away.

The Hoyas were outshot 19-9 and were at an 11-4 disadvantage in penalty corners. Volpe and senior forward Maggie Farrand led the team with three shots apiece. Crovo once again had eight saves in the loss.

There is no question that this has been a rough season for the Hoyas. With a squad playing eight freshmen, Head Coach Tiffany Marsh has been forced to deal with the growing pains that come naturally with youth and inexperience. But Georgetown will look to use these final games to prepare for the future, as 80 percent of the current roster will be back for the 2009 season.

The Hoyas will return to the field Sunday to face off against Big East foe Providence College. Seniors Maggie Farrand, Ashton Hospodar and Dee Crovo will be honored, as it is the Hoyas’ last home game of the season.