Hoyas Open Spring Season

After inclement weather kept them from competing so far this spring, Georgetown’s crew teams finally hit the water over the weekend in races that gave the teams a chance to gear up for the slate of regattas ahead.

After last weekend’s Jesuit Invitational was postponed for the men and women, both squads were in action this weekend. The women raced on the Potomac against George Mason, George Washington and North Carolina in the Class of 2006 Cup on Saturday, while the men competed in the rescheduled Jesuit Invitational in Camden, N.J., on Sunday.

In the first round of the Class of 2006 Cup, the Tar Heels swept the Hoyas in three races to earn the Class of 2006 Cup. In the other first-round event, the Hoyas raced against their two Washington, D.C.-area rivals, finishing less than 10 seconds behind first-place George Washington and a mere second and a half behind second-place George Mason.

The Hoyas only competed in two of the four second-round events. In the Frosh/Novice 8, Georgetown’s lightweights took first of six boats by a commanding margin of 14 seconds with a time of 6:33.1. The Hoyas’ heavyweights took second place for a Georgetown sweep in the race. The Hoyas lost the other round-two event in which they raced, the Varsity 8, to George Mason.

On the men’s side, Georgetown posted two victories in their three races at the Jesuit Invitational.

“It was very much what we expected. It is very early in the season for us,” Head Coach Tony Johnson said. “Having another week of practice was a significant amount, percentage-wise, of additional time to train and get ready.”

The Hoyas won the Varsity 8 with a time of 6:22.3, finishing ahead of second-place Holy Cross, which posted a time of 6:30.7. St. Joseph’s and Loyola came in third and fourth, respectively. In the second Varsity 8, two Georgetown boats sandwiched the second-place Holy Cross, with the Georgetown A boat placing first and the Georgetown B boat placing third.

The lightweights finished second in the Frosh/Novice 8, the other event of the day in which the Hoyas raced.

For the first action of the young spring season, Johnson said he was pleased with what he got out of his rowers and the races.

“So many of our guys are novices and there’s just a lot of sorting out and improving that’s needed in getting ready,” Johnson said.

Next up for both squads will be the GW Invite, a regatta with Cornell, Michigan, Virginia and George Washington set to take place the weekend of April 6.

“[The GW Invite] is going to be really fun. It’s going to be interesting racing, it’ll be challenging, and it’ll very helpful in seeing where we are.” Johnson said.