Hoyas Win First Big Dual Meet

Image Contributor
Sophomore Tom Creceulius

With a convincing win over Providence on Saturday, the Georgetown men captured their first Big East dual meet since beating the Friars in 2002.

The Hoyas beat the Friars 210-82 and George Washington 160-133 in the dual meet at McCarthy Pool.

Senior captain Goran Bistric took first in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:56.30. Teammate and junior James LiVolsi came in fourth in both the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke. He swam the first in 55:95 and the second in 1:59.88. LiVolsi won the 1000-yard freestyle.

Freshman Victor Lopez-Cantera set a freshman record as he won the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:56.15.

Bistric and Lopez-Cantera teamed up with freshman Brad Crist and junior Wes Going to win the 400-yard medley relay.

Georgetown lost to East Carolina 145-89 on Friday at McCarthy Pool.

On the women’s side, the Hoyas fell to East Carolina 145-89 on Friday and George Washington 148-145 on Saturday, but they dismantled the Friars 216-81 Saturday afternoon.

A pair of sophomores, Mallory Kiplinger and Megan Harvey, finished first and second in the 200-yard freestyle. Kiplinger’s time of 1:58.29 just edged Harvey, who came in at 2:00.71. Freshman Kristen Pratt took first in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:11.69.

The Hoyas dominated the diving, taking the top five spots in the women’s one-meter event.

Attempts to reach Head Coach Steven Cartwright yesterday for comment were unsuccessful.

Georgetown will be back in action next week in Baltimore, Md., for a meet with Loyola (Md.), Lafayette and Seton Hall.