Hoyas Win Two of Three in Georgetown Classic

Over the weekend, the Georgetown women’s volleyball team welcomed William & Mary, Hampton and Maryland to McDonough Arena for the Georgetown Classic. When all was said and done, junior outside hitter Kortney Robinson, sophomore setter Ashley Malone and junior middle blocker Vanessa Dorismond were named to the all-tournament team.

After falling to W&M in disappointing fashion on Friday, Georgetown (5-5) struck back on Saturday with a convincing defeat of Hampton and a feel-good win over the tournament champions, Maryland.

**William & Mary 3, Georgetown 2**

In their tournament opener, the Hoyas took a 2-0 lead on the Tribe (7-3) but failed to close, dropping the final three sets (25-21, 25-23, 18-25, 11-25, 5-15).

Georgetown sprinted out of the gates, grabbing an early 9-2 advantage and eventually the first set.

The second set proved more difficult, as W&M fought back from another early deficit to take an 18-17 lead. The Hoyas answered, however, and freshman middle blocker Lindsay Wise scored the game-clinching kill.

Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there for the home side.

Despite yet another early lead, the Hoyas fell 25-18 in the third, allowing an eight-point run along the way.

The fourth set saw the Hoyas break down entirely as they committed 14 errors and were victim to a 14-3 run. The story did not improve in the fifth as the Tribe sealed the come-from-behind victory.

**Georgetown 3, Hampton 0**

Saturday was a new day for the Hoyas.

In the matinee against Hampton (2-7), Wise hit .727 with eight kills and sophomore outside hitter Sara Manley added 11 of her own in the straight-sets victory.

Early Georgetown leads proved insurmountable in the first two sets as the Pirates were topped 25-17 in both games.

In the third, Malone served out a nine-point run to make it 16-6 as Georgetown rolled, 25-12.

**Georgetown 3, Maryland 2**

Georgetown’s best performance of the weekend came on Saturday night in the tournament finale. Robinson led the way with 14 kills as the Hoyas came back from a 2-1 deficit to top the Terps (25-20, 25-27, 21-25, 25-21, 15-9).

After a 25-20 victory in the first set, it looked like the Hoyas might steal the second as well. However, a Maryland timeout at 22-21 proved to be a turning point as the visitors climbed back to take the set, 27-25.

Timeouts continued to spur Maryland runs in the third as the Terps broke from the huddle down 9-1 and eventually tied the score at 12. Following another breather, trailing 17-15, Maryland battled back with a 10-4 run to claim the set, 25-21.

In the fourth, Georgetown saw the match slipping away, down 20-19. The Hoyas, however, managed a 6-1 comeback run emphasized by Robinson’s set-clinching kill.

Unlike the night before, Georgetown owned the fifth set. A Maryland timeout at 12-8 did the Terps no favors as Georgetown closed out a big win, 15-9.

Despite the loss, Maryland left the Hilltop as tournament champions, winning a tiebreaker with Georgetown and W&M on game differential. “