Monroe Named Third-Team All-American

Image Contributor
Sophomore center Greg Monroe is the third all-American under John Thompson III.

The individual awards continue to pile up for Greg Monroe. The sophomore center was named a third-team all-American by the Associated Press on Monday, the highest honor of his collegiate career.

onroe was Big East rookie of the year as a freshman, and he was named to the Big East first team and the conference’s all-tournament team as a sophomore.

onroe averaged 16.1 points, 9.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game in his second season, leading the Hoyas to a 23-11 record. Georgetown finished eighth in the Big East and made it to the championship of the conference tournament, but it was upset in the NCAA tournament by 14-seed Ohio.

onroe, who earned the most votes of any player on the third team, is the third all-American under John Thompson III. Center Roy Hibbert (COL ’08) was on the second team as a senior in 2008, and sophomore Jeff Green was on the third team as a junior in 2007.

Four other Big East players were named all-Americans – Notre Dame’s Luke Harangody joined Monroe on the third team, West Virginia’s Da’Sean Butler finished just ahead of Monroe in the voting to gain the final spot on the second team, and Syracuse’s Wes Johnson and Villanova’s Scottie Reynolds made the first team.

Kentucky freshmen John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins and Ohio State’s Evan Turner are the other players on the first team.

It is still unclear if Monroe will return to Georgetown for his junior year or enter the NBA draft. Projections have Monroe as a lottery pick – one of the draft’s top 14 players – but the center faced similar projections a year ago when he decided to return for his sophomore season.

After the Hoyas were upset in the NCAA tournament, Monroe said it was not his last game in a Georgetown uniform, but later tempered his answer by saying he was not looking to the future at the moment.

Added Thompson: “I think that he’s going to sit and make that decision as time goes on.”

Should Monroe return, Georgetown will be in the mix for the Big East title and a trip to the Final Four. Though they were inconsistent throughout the season, the Hoyas had no seniors and handily beat two of the four remaining teams in the current NCAA tournament.

If everyone returns for the 2009-2010 season, Monroe and his teammates will be good position to add team awards to Monroe’s individual honors. “