Quarterback Joins Arena Football Team

When Alex Buzbee (MSB ’07) was added to the Washington Redskins roster in December, he became the first Hoya alumnus in over 50 years to play in the NFL. Now, Buzbee’s former teammate, senior Matt Bassuener, will join the professional ranks as well. Bassuener, Georgetown’s quarterback for the past two years, signed with the Louisville Fire of the Arena Football League 2.

Bassuener completed 66.8 percent of his passes in his senior season for 1,874 yards while leading the Hoyas to a disappointing 1-10 record. The senior threw eight touchdowns and ran for four more as he was the team’s second-leading rusher, scampering for 308 yards in Georgetown’s option offense.

Bassuener, a Wisconsin native who has played football in three countries, participated in the East Coast Bowl after the season, in the hope of getting noticed by professional scouts.

“The coaching staff said I’m in there to compete right away and that from having seen my film, they feel I can contribute early,” Bassuener said in a press release. “The AFL2 is a developmental league, so they don’t want me to be there for five years. Their goal is to move you up to the AFL, CFL and NFL.”

Although Bassuener has never played indoor football, he is confident he can make the jump.

“You’re playing on a field with 75 percent of the players, but 25 percent of the space, so you have to be extra quick with your reads, but I think the arena game will suit my skill-set,” he said.

The Fire open their season on Mar. 29 against the Iowa Barnstormers.

“He is a young quarterback with a lot of potential to do good things for us,” Louisville Head Coach Tommy Johnson said in a press release.