Tigers Claw Georgetown Aside

Georgetown (0-12, 0-2 Big East) fell 6-1 to Towson (9-5) Wednesday evening in College Park, Md.

The Hoyas held the Tigers to one goal in the first half, as senior goalkeeper Dee Crovo made three saves. Georgetown took as many shots as Towson in the first period – six – but could not convert on any of their chances.

Towson came out firing in the second half, as they scored three times within four minutes. The Tigers’ Maureen Meara scored at the 41:46 mark, Katie DeFilippo put in a goal at 44:06, and Christina Boarman netted a goal at 45:52. All of a sudden, the Hoyas found themselves down 4-0.

DeFilippo scored twice more before the Hoyas scored. Senior forward Maggie Farrand scored on a breakaway with less than a minute to play to make the final 6-1.

Crovo made nine saves in the losing effort. Towson tallied 19 shots and put 15 on goal, while Georgetown took eight shots and put four on goal. Farrand accounted for three of the Hoyas’ shots and put two on goal.

Towson held a distinct advantage in penalty corners, earning eight to Georgetown’s two. The Hoyas’ only two attempts at penalty corners came with no time remaining in the first half. Tiger goalkeeper Whitney Clugston turned the first aside, and the second went wide of the goal.

Next up for Georgetown is a road contest against Villanova (10-4, 1-2 Big East) tonight at 7 p.m. The Hoyas will finish the weekend with a home contest against Bucknell on Sunday. The game is set for an 11 a.m. start at the Maryland Lacrosse and Field Hockey Complex.