Tigers’ Murangi Nets Two, Sinks Georgetown Early

The Hoyas returned to the Hilltop Wednesday night from Owings ills, Md., licking their wounds after being beaten 3-1 by the Towson Tigers.

Georgetown suffered their third consecutive loss, falling to 1-5 in the young season, while Towson University improved their season record to 2-4.

“With each loss this season, we have learnt something along the way,” Georgetown’s interim Head Coach Tiffany arsh said. “This game was a good lesson for us not to repeat our mistakes.”

It took the Tigers only five minutes to draw first blood, as senior forward Kajee Murangi scored her first of two goals off a pass by sophomore forward Mariah Schuette. The goal came after two previous attempts by Murangi, one of which was shot wide while the other was blocked by Hoya junior goalkeeper Dierdre Crovo.

Towson increased their lead in the 23rd minute, when a penalty corner taken by junior midfielder Laura Schnell found the stick of sophomore forward Christina Boarman. The score remained 2-0 in favor of Towson going into halftime.

The game was marred by displays of shoddy defense on both sides. Towson committed 28 fouls in the first period and 33 in the second, while Georgetown raked up 22 fouls and a green card in the first period and 16 fouls in the second.

“We have to work on being poised on defense,” Marsh said. “We gave up a lot of corners in the game, but that is what we’re working on now in practice, so hopefully it’s something we can improve on.”

The Tigers came out snarling after halftime and quickly raised the score to 3-0, with Murangi’s second solo effort flying into the back of the Hoyas’ net at the 45 minute mark.

“We made some substitutions to get more forwards into the game and lift the team’s energy, and to try to get some goals,” Marsh said.

The Hoyas’ goal – scored by freshman forward Micaela O’Toole – came at the end of the second period, when the game was already out of reach.

Unable to rack up many wins so far this season, Marsh has had to focus on winning smaller battles.

“I have high expectations of my team,” Marsh said. “The girls know not to focus on the win-loss record because they know they can play well. I’ve seen glimpses in the team that are really encouraging, and the girls are fired up for their next games.”

Georgetown begins its Big East schedule on Saturday at Providence University.

“The past few games were like a pre-season for us,” arsh said. “Our real season starts tomorrow. In a way, the loss came for us at a good time, because it’s a wake-up call for us before playing Providence.”

The game will begin at noon in Providence, R.I.