University to Distribute H1N1 Vaccine Today

**Updated Friday, Nov. 20 at 3:56 a.m.** The university received a shipment of 800 injectable H1N1 vaccine doses on Nov. 19 and will be administering them to students today, according to James Welsh, assistant vice president for student health. The vaccines will be administered on a first-come, first-serve basis to all students under 24 years old, as well as to students between 25 and 64 years old who are at a higher risk of infection. The university had received 500 doses of the nasal spray vaccine on Tuesday, which they administered today to the high-risk group in accordance with Center for Disease Control guidelines. The high-risk group includes health care workers, medical and nursing students, GERMS members and students under 25 years old who are at a higher risk. “The plan was to have a targeted immunization today and an open clinic tomorrow,” Welsh said. The H1N1 vaccines will be administered from 2 to 6 p.m. tomorrow in the former Central Grill area in the Leavey Center, where Starbucks and Cosí are located. The university originally ordered 9,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine. Prior to Tuesday it had only received 300 doses, which were given to members of the high-risk group. Welsh said that every student under 25 years old should get the H1N1 vaccine, unless he or she has had a confirmed case of H1N1. “I think every student under 25 should get [the H1N1 vaccine],” Welsh said. The university is still waiting for more shipments of the seasonal flu vaccine. Welsh said that the university is in contact with flu vaccine providers multiple times each week and that it is prepared to administer more doses as soon as they arrive.