Updated: Macklin to Transfer out of Georgetown to Florida

Image Contributor
Sophomore forward Vernon Macklin will transfer out of Georgetown after two seasons.

Updated: Sunday, May 4, 11 p.m.

Although Vernon Macklin decided to transfer out of a program a year removed from a Final Four trip, the big man will still have a chance to play at a program with a wealth of recent success. According to FoxSports.com, Macklin will transfer to the Florida Gators, who won consecutive championships in 2006 and 2007.

acklin, who will begin attending summer classes at Florida, visited Florida’s campus in Gainesville on Friday, according to FoxSports.com. He will have to sit out this season before becoming eligible per NCAA rules.

The Gators did not make the NCAA tournament last season and lost to Massachusetts in the semifinals of the NIT.

“It’s a great decision because it gives Vernon a chance to sit out and work on some things,” Macklin’s high school coach Kevin Keatts told FoxSports.com. “He’s learned a lot in the last two years under John [Thompson III], but going to Florida will give him a chance to re-charge his battery a little bit.”

The tallest player on Florida’s roster from last season, 6-foot-10 Marreese Speights, has declared for the NBA draft but still has the option of returning to school. No other Gators is taller than 6-foot-9.

“We appreciate the hard work [Macklin] put in at Georgetown, both on and off the floor,” Head Coach John Thompson III said in the press release. “We wish him the best in the future.”

acklin, who was an all-American in high school at Hargrave Military Academy, was primarily a reserve player in his two seasons at Georgetown, backing up senior center Roy Hibbert. Macklin played in 31 games as a freshman, averaging 9.8 minutes, 1.5 rebounds and 2.9 points per game. This year, after teammates touted Macklin as one of the most improved players on the team at the preseason media day, he showed little improvement. Macklin played in all 34 games, averaging 12.8 minutes, 2.1 rebounds and 3.4 points per game.

acklin, a 6-foot-9, 227-pound big man, was known primarily for his athleticism. His Achilles heel as a Hoya was his free-throw shooting. Over two seasons, he shot 22-of-71 from the charity stripe – only 31 percent. At times this season, he appeared to shy away from contact while making a post move.

The sophomore’s year was not without moments of hope for the Hoya faithful, however. Macklin posted 10 points on 5-of-5 shooting in a January loss to Pittsburgh and came off the bench to lead all scorers with 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting in a rout of St. John’s. Macklin played 18 minutes in the Hoyas’ season-ending loss to Davidson while Hibbert was on the bench in foul trouble. The Big Ticket scored eight points, all in the first half, and was 4-of-8 from the free-throw line.

The loss of Macklin, along with the graduation of Hibbert and senior forward Patrick Ewing Jr., will leave Georgetown thin in the frontcourt. The Hoyas return 6-foot-8 sophomore forward DaJuan Summers and expect several freshmen to bolster the frontcourt: 6-foot-10 forward Greg Monroe is ranked eighth in the 2008 high school senior class by rivals.com, 6-foot-10 center Henry Sims is ranked 49th and 6-foot-8 forward Chris Braswell is 84th.

The Hoyas also have 6-foot-8 freshman Nikita Mescheriakov, who did not see any action in his first season.