Weekend Recap

Football: Hoyas Earn First Home Win in Two Years

Saturday, Senior Day on the Multi-Sport Facility, was all about ended losing streaks. With its 13-12 win over Marist (3-7), Georgetown (2-7, 0-4 Patriot League) ended a seven-game losing streak and won at home for the first time since beating Marist on Nov. 4, 2006.

arist’s Bo Ehikioya rushed for two touchdowns in the first half, but the Red Foxes could not convert on either extra point, something that would come back to haunt them.

Georgetown was led by two sophomore running backs, Philip Oladeji and Geoffrey Schnorr. Oladeji ran for 100 yards on just 13 carries, and Schnorr had 52 yards, including 40 in the fourth quarter. The Hoyas’ touchdown – a 13-yard pass from sophomore Keerome Lawrence to senior Collin Meador – was set up after junior Rick Cosgrove blocked a Marist punt to give the Hoyas a short field. Cosgrove also blocked a punt last week against Lehigh.

With 19 seconds left in the second quarter, sophomore Jose-Pablo Buerba capped a 77-yard drive with a 24-yard field goal. Buerba put the finishing touches on a 74-yard drive with a 31-yard field goal in the third.

The defense was led by freshman Jayah Kaisamba, who had an interception and blocked an extra point. Senior captain Nick Umar celebrated his final game on the Hilltop with an interception late in the fourth quarter.

en’s Soccer: Hoyas Fall to USF in Big East Quarterfinals

For the second straight season, South Florida ended Georgetown’s Big East tournament. The Bulls (12-4-2) scored less than two minutes into the contest and added a second goal less than a minute into the second half. The Hoyas got a goal from freshman midfielder David Madison in the 64th minute but could not get the equalizer.

Georgetown will now have to wait and see if its 11-5-3 record will be good enough to earn the Hoyas an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. After beating Cincinnati last Thursday in the opening round of the Big East tournament, Head Coach Brian Wiese and his players said that they feel like they are in a good position to get into the tournament, regardless of the result against South Florida. The NCAA field will be announced on Monday, Nov. 17.

Volleyball: GU Drops Two League Matches

Georgetown lost 3-0 to Connecticut on Saturday and 3-0 to St. John’s on Sunday. The Hoyas, who have now dropped four straight contests 3-0, stand at 12-13 and 5-7 in the Big East (tied for ninth).

The Hoyas were led by senior Caitlin Boland, who record 25 assists against UConn and had a double-double (29 assists, 10 digs) against Louisville. They now have two home games to round out the regular season next weekend.

– Kevin Wessel