Winless Teams to Square Off in Bethlehem

WR Jake Drwal

Lehigh’s offense has experienced instability similar to that of the Hoya offense, as the Mountain Hawks have started two different quarterbacks and boast no rushers averaging more than 45 yards per game. Through it all, sophomore wide receiver Jake Drwal has been a headache for opposing defenses. In four games this season, the Nebraska native has lit up opposing defenses, catching eight passes for 256 yards and two touchdowns in his first year as a varsity starter.

This year, the running game has not been very successful for the Mountain Hawks, meaning defensive success for the Hoyas will depend greatly on the play of their secondary against Drwal and the other Hawk receivers. Drwal, a 6-foot-1 former track athlete, leads the inexperienced receiving corps with his dangerous combination of speed and height.

Junior linebacker Nick Parrish, sophomore linebacker Wayne Heimuli and company should be able to continue their tenacious rush defense against Lehigh, but they will need to take advantage of Lehigh’s inexperienced quarterbacks. Sophomore quarterback Chris Lum, who replaced junior JB Clark two weeks ago in a 17-14 loss to Princeton, is fresh off a four-interception outing against Harvard last week. Tight coverage on Drwal could cause the quarterbacks to force passes and would mark a long day of three-and-outs for the Lehigh offense, but if the Hoyas give Drwal any opportunities, the receiver is capable of yet another big day.

LB Matt Cohen

Cohen, a senior captain, entered the season highly lauded for his efforts over the last three years and was named a preseason All-American. The linebacker recorded his first tackle during his freshman year against Georgetown, and he will look to have a big game in his final battle against the Hoyas.

Georgetown’s offensive line should key in on Cohen at all times, as he led the Patriot League with 6.5 sacks last season. This year Cohen has continued to disrupt opposing offenses; the captain has recorded team-highs with three sacks and 27 tackles through four games.

During Cohen’s junior campaign, Lehigh was an average team that posted a 5-6 record. This year, however, marks a wake-up call for seniors on both sides, as both the Hoyas and Mountain Hawks go into Saturday’s battle winless. Cohen’s first three years at Lehigh have seen wins over Georgetown, but containing him on Saturday will be a key to ensuring it doesn’t happen a fourth time.