Georgetown Ranks Eighth in Peace Corps Service

Georgetown has inched further up in the Peace Corps’ annual rankings of colleges and universi-ties that send the most volunteers to the program, according to data released today by the Peace Corps.

The 31 undergraduate alumni that currently serve in the Peace Corp are enough to bump George-town to number eight in the rankings for medium-sized schools, up from the tenth-place spot it held last year.

According to a Georgetown University press release, nearly 900 alumni have served in the Peace Corps since 1961, when the program was started by the Kennedy administration.

“These volunteers are applying the skills and knowledge they acquired during their time at Georgetown University to help improve the lives of people across the globe,” said Carrie Hessler-Radelet, acting director of the Peace Corps, in the university press release. “They are achieving tangible results in development projects in agriculture, community economic development, education, the environment, health and youth development.”

Georgetown University, however, remains behind two other D.C. universities in the rankings. American University and the George Washington University rank second and third respectively on the medium-sized school list.