GUSA May Pilot Game Rentals

The Georgetown University Student Association senate will vote Sunday on a proposal to launch a game equipment rental program on Harbin Patio next fall.

The program, spearheaded by Senator Ben Weiss (COL ’15), will offer equipment for games includingcornhole and ladder ball as well as Kan Jam, a disc-throwing game.

According to Weiss, university administrators vetoed the provision of rental equipment for activities that involve a significant amount of running, such as Frisbee or Wiffle ball, in order to avoid liabilities.

Students will be able to borrow the games by leaving their GOCards with the Village C Residence Hall Office.

Weiss said that the idea for the initiative came from a call for more student space in the recently published 2012 Student Life Report.

“It was a really hot day in March and there were a ton of people on Healy [Lawn], and there was no one on Harbin Patio, and I thought, through the Student Life Report, that we could start using that space,” Weiss said.

Weiss met with Vice President of Student Affairs Todd Olsen in March to propose the program. According to Weiss, administrators were very supportive of the proposal because GUSA will fund the program and equipment will be limited to stationary games.

The program will be financed by money left over after the allocation of the Student Activities Fee Endowment funds.

With the university’s backing, Weiss solicited student input through an online survey that has received more than 40 responses. He said that students were largely in favor of the program, and cornholewas the most popular game among the survey answers.

“I think that Harbin Patio is one of the most underutilized spaces on campus, so I would support any initiative to increase student use,” Luke Marrinan (COL ’15) said.

According to Weiss, if the program is a success, the administration will consider expanding rentals to other areas like the Southwest Quad.