Staffers of the Week: Lindsay Lee and Nick DeLessio

staffer-of-the-week1
Once a week, The Hoya recognizes a staffer who has done a particularly awesome job – now you can get to know about them, too. This week it went to two staffers for their work on the spiffy new Hoya website!
Lindsay Lee
linds
School: College
Year: 2016
Major: Economics with a Spanish minor
Hometown: Albany, NY
Why were you named staffer of the week?
The Hoya’s website used to operate on a platform that was very difficult to work with and limited our abilities to expand our online content. It had caused a lot of headaches for editors over the course of many years and this year we really made the big push to get onto the WordPress platform. I spearheaded the effort to organize a team to manually transfer our archives and assisted the tech department in making sure everything was user-friendly for both the editors as they uploaded the stories and for the audience as they navigated the website. It’s been a long and tough journey and was a huge team effort, but we finally made it happen and it’s paid off!
What’s your favorite thing about working for The Hoya?
My favorite thing about working for The Hoya is that you truly reap the rewards of the time you put in. We work hard and stay up way past a normal human bedtime to produce two issues a week and get this tangible product of everything everyone has put into it. You get that feeling of gratification as you see people walking around with the newest issue or see the number of views on the website climbing and it feels great. Because of this, you bond with the people you work with in a totally different way that is equally as gratifying.

If you were to pick a mascot for The Hoya what would it be and why?
An owl. We’re nocturnal, we see and hear everything, we’re a diverse bunch and we regurgitate pellets of animal bones … wait … no not that last part.

What’s your favorite blog post you’ve ever written?
I would say any article that allowed me to shed a different light on a campus issue in a way that the print edition couldn’t. Articles like “The Problem With Anonymity: An Interview with Georgetown Confessions,” “Lovingly Defiant” or, more recently, “Behind the Designs.” 
What is the theme song to your life?

“Hell Yeah” – Rev Theory, also known as the theme song to Blue Mountain State. That song pumps me up like no other.

Nick DeLessio

1441513_10152094638641095_2080882822_n

School: College
Year: 2015
Major: Computer Science
Hometown: Bettendorf, Iowa

Why were you named staffer of the week?
My department created and launched the brand new thehoya.com.

My staff, especially my managers. They’re all crazy smart and support me in every possible way, both inside and outside of The Hoya.
I guess a lion. It’s still my favorite Hoya party costume to date.

What is the theme song to your life?
“A Little Party Never Killed Nobody” by Fergie.