Hoyas Battle Back, Extend Win Streak to Five Games

This past Tuesday, the Georgetown women’s volleyball team (7-5) traveled to Richmond, Va., to take on Virginia Commonwealth University (1-10). In a thrilling match, the Hoyas defeated VCU in five sets, 3-2 (25-23, 22-25, 22-25, 25-20, 15-9).

Led by sophomore middle blocker Lindsay Wise, the Hoyas won the last two sets to overcome an early deficit. Wise led all players with 19 kills and 23 points en route to her best performance as a Hoya. She also topped the Georgetown box score with a .419 hitting percentage and four blocks. Freshman middle blocker Elizabeth Riggins followed Wise with 15 kills and 17 points, while junior setter Ashley Malone notched a career-best 58 assists.

Georgetown came out of the gate strong with a hard-fought win in the first set, overcoming an initial 15-10 deficit, but the Blue and Gray subsequently dropped the next two frames to fall behind 2-1.

Forced to regroup, the Hoyas battled back to tie the match at two sets apiece. In a do-or-die fourth set, the Hoyas displayed grit and teamwork in their 25-20 win. Four of Wise’s 19 kills came in the set and Malone added 19 assists in the frame. Senior outside hitter Samantha Trauth ended the set with back-to-back kills.

The Blue and Gray carried its momentum over to the fifth and final set in a decisive 15-9 victory. Georgetown won a pivotal point at 5-5 early in the set and never trailed again. The Hoyas closed out the match with a kill from Higgins and an ace from Trauth to extend their win streak to five and hand VCU their 10th loss of the season.

The Hoyas look to continue their winning streak this weekend when they return home to host the Georgetown Classic. They will take on Binghampton at 5 p.m. this evening before playing two matches tomorrow against East Carolina University at 1 p.m. and Furman at 7 p.m.