Hoyas Crush NJIT

In another mismatched rout, Georgetown saw 11 players score as the Hoyas (7-1) defeated the NJITHighlanders (3-4), 84-44, at Verizon Center Saturday afternoon.

Head Coach John Thompson III gave his younger players a lot of time on the court, focusing on getting the freshman class ready for conference play.

“We’re going to need Mikael Hopkins to be out there, to be comfortable. Jabril [Trawick], to be at a high level. Big Tyler [Adams] just showed a little flash — he’s still not 100 percent of what we’re going to see,” Thompson III said.

Junior forward Hollis Thompson hit a career high six three-pointers in seven attempts, and finished 7-of-10 overall for the game with 20 points and three assists. Senior guard Jason Clark chipped in 10 points and five rebounds in the blowout, and Hopkins, a freshman forward, scored 12 points and added three rebounds.

“We’re a better team than them. But no matter what the score was, those guys played hard for 40 minutes, they made us work hard for 40 minutes,” Thompson III said.

Georgetown shot 50 percent for the game and held NJIT to a 27.3 percent clip, including a 5-of-24 mark from three-point range. The Hoyas doubled the Highlanders’ rebounding effort, 48-23, and had a season-high 13 blocks as a team.

NJIT played an aggressive first half, scoring 28 points against a Georgetown defense that limited Alabama to just 16 on Thursday night. However, the Hoyas came out strong in the second half, outscoring the Highlanders 42-16 and limiting NJIT to 17 percent shooting.

After Thursday night’s victory against Alabama, it’s likely Georgetown will see itself in the Top-25 rankings for the seventh season in a row. Thompson III and his more experienced players shrugged off the excitement of the national recognition.

“For a team that’s young like this, I think they would love to see their name pop up, but at the end of the day, you have to play the games. Right now, we’re just focusing on, ‘can we get better.'”

The Hoyas now have a break for finals, with just two games in the next 14 days, compared to the six they’ve played in the last 13.

“This is a big week for us in terms of school, so we get a little bit of a break to focus in on school right now,” Thompson III said.

One of the most memorable events of the day was Clark being honored for scoring his 1,000th point in a Georgetown uniform. He is the 42nd Hoya to achieve the feat, reaching the milestone Monday night during the Hoyas’ victory against IUPUI.