MEN’S BASKETBALL | Porter Jr. Staying Busy During Awards Season

As Georgetown fans anxiously await his decision on the NBA draft, sophomore forward Otto Porter Jr. keeps acquiring hardware.

The latest accolade came Tuesday, when the sophomore forward was one of 10 players named to the John Wooden Award All-America team. The last Hoya selected by the voting members of the basketball media was Allen Iverson in 1996.

Porter joins Michigan sophomore guard Trey Burke, Creighton junior forward Doug McDermott, Gonzaga junior forward Kelly Olynyk and Indiana junior guard Victor Oladipo as finalists for the Wooden Award, which will be awarded this morning.

That same group of five was also selected by the National Association of Basketball Coaches to round out its first team of all-americans.

Although Porter was named to the Associated Press All-America first team on Monday, joining the same foursome of Wooden Award finalists, he was edged by Burke for the AP’s player of the year award when it was announced Thursday.

End of season awards are often determined by strong play in the tournament, and Burke, by carrying his team to the Final Four, made a compelling case even stronger given Georgetown’s early defeat to Florida Gulf Coast.

However, Porter was named national player of the year by Basketball Times and will learn if he received the Naismith Trophy, for which he is a finalist, in a ceremony held in Atlanta on Sunday.

It remains unclear if Porter will leave for the NBA this season, although a decision must be made by the NCAA deadline on April 16. While mock drafts rank the sophomore as a top pick, Porter has maintained ambiguity about the decision on social media.

Even if Porter decides to depart, one of his teammates may be taking his place as a proven award winner. Freshman guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera was honored Wednesday, alongside 20 other rookies, with a spot on the Kyle Macy Freshman All-America Team. The Indianapolis native also earned a spot on the all-Big East rookie team, something Porter was denied his freshman year.