SAILING | Hoyas Win Eighth National Title

Georgetown’s sailing team wrapped up its season in style, taking home the ICSA/Gill Coed Dinghy National Championship.

In addition to the team honors, junior Chris Barnard and senior Sydney Bolger won the male and female sailor of the year awards, respectively.

The Hoyas led all three days of the dinghy event, which was hosted by the University of Texas at the Austin Yacht Club on Lake Travis. It is the eighth time that the Blue and Gray have won the event.

“Georgetown approached each day of the event like three different regattas, ” Head Coach Mike Callahan said in a statement. “The sailors started each day fresh and did not worry about other teams, they just focused on their own sailing.”

And in the final event of the regatta they didn’t even have to worry, since they clinched the Henry A. Morss Memorial Trophy, awarded to the winning team, before the last race.

“It was fun to go into the last race winning the event,” Callahan said.

The banquets surrounding the national championship, the last of three such title competitions in different categories, were also special for Georgetown.

Barnard received the Everett B. Morris Trophy as college sailor of the year while Bolger was named Quantum female sailor of the year.

Bolger, who graduated in May, is now taking a short break from sailing. But the Long Beach native is planning a move to Miami to attempt a campaign targeting the 2016 Olympics.

On the men’s side, Barnard will also eventually pursue Olympic goals. For now, though, he will train up to next season, giving Georgetown hopes of continuing their impressive success in sailing.

Senior Evan Aras, who graduated with Bolger in May, joined Barnard as an All-American on the men’s side.