SOFTBALL | Anttila Slugs Four Homers in Series Opener

FILE PHOTO: ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA Sophomore pitcher Lauren O'Leary was chased from the game after two innings Saturday, but Meghan Hyson stepped up in relief.
     FILE PHOTO: ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
Sophomore pitcher Lauren O’Leary was chased from the game after two innings Saturday, but Meghan Hyson stepped up in relief.

After an explosive win in the first matchup of a three-game series against Rutgers, the Georgetown softball team could not sustain its momentum, losing the final two games and dropping the series to the Scarlet Knights in a tough conference challenge in Piscataway, N.J.

The Hoyas (14-24, 4-4 Big East) started strong, winning a game-one offensive showdown 12-11 thanks to a performance for the ages from junior right fielder Alexandria Anttila. The Illinois native went 4-4 with four home runs, hitting a three-run homer in the first, a grand slam in the second, a solo shot in the fourth and the go-ahead two run home run in the seventh that put the Blue and Gray in the lead for good.

Overall, Anttila had 10 RBIs and recorded 16 total bases in what was a historic performance not only from a personal perspective but from a Georgetown and NCAA one as well: Anttila’s home run and RBI marks on Saturday are Georgetown softball single-game records, and she tied the NCAA Division I record with her home-run and total bases totals.

“Allie’s performance was unbelievable. I have been playing and coaching for 35 years and have never witnessed something that incredible,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said.  “She had a very memorable game and single-handedly helped us get that win.”

The other two Georgetown runs of the game came off solo home runs from sophomore Megan Hyson, who also pitched five innings in relief en route to earning her fifth win of the season.

“I think both found their pitches to hit and took really good swings all game,” Conlan said of Hyson and Anttila.

In the second game of the Saturday doubleheader, the Hoyas took an early lead on an RBI single from senior catcher Shikara Lowe that drove in freshman shortstop Samantha Giovanniello, but Rutgers followed with five runs in the third inning to cement the win.

Lowe drove in two more runs in the fourth and Giovanniello contributed an RBI of her own by drawing a bases-loaded walk, but Georgetown could not catch the Scarlet Knights, who added insurance runs in the fourth and sixth to take the game 7-4.

The rubber match on Sunday was a pitcher’s duel, as each team was limited to four hits, a drastic change from the first game’s offensive onslaught.

“I thought the pitching for both teams was more effective on Sunday, because you have the opportunity to see the strengths and weaknesses of hitters through a doubleheader on Saturday and pitch to those weaknesses,” Conlan said.

Rutgers broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 1-0, then doubled to drive in two more in the fifth for a three-run lead.

The score would stand at 3-0 until the seventh inning, when Georgetown had a late-game spark in its final at-bats.

Hyson led off with a double and was later driven in by freshman third baseman Taylor Henry’s single, but with two runners on base, a fly-out to second would end the rally and the game, with the Blue and Gray losing 3-1.

“Rutgers put a few more hits together in games two and three and was able to make some things happen on offense,” Conlan said. “We had opportunities as well; however, they did more with theirs.”

Regardless of the series outcome, Conlan was excited by the way her side played and looked forward to pushing its potential as the season goes on.

“I loved the way this team competes. Rutgers was a very good team, and we had opportunities to win all three games, so for me, the weekend was a positive one,” she said. “We need to continue to play our game the way we are capable of and good things will happen.”

The team will travel for a doubleheader against Connecticut on Wednesday.