TENNIS | Georgetown Tops No. 33 William & Mary

It was a big weekend for the Georgetown tennis teams, with the men’s side winning its only match of the weekend and the women winning two of three, including an impressive win over a ranked opponent.

The men’s team (3-8) only had one match this week, pulling out the win in suspenseful fashion over Bryant (5-6) as sophomore Shane Korber broke the deadlock in the finals single match to ensure a 4-3 victory.

It wasn’t an easy win for Korber, who had to overcome cramps in the middle of the match.

“I’ve seen Korbs go down with cramps before and not be able to finish. Here he just fought through it,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said afterward. “There was no way that guy wasn’t going to finish the match and get the win for the Hoyas. I’m proud of him.”

The Blue and Gray were also helped by the play of freshman Danny Khanin, who won a doubles point with fellow freshman Kevin Katz before also picking up a point in singles.

“Tennis is very simple,” Ernst said. “You have to beat someone who has some sort of reputation as being a good team to get any respect.”

The women’s team had three matches over the weekend, two on Friday against James Madison (5-4) and Bryant (7-5), as well as one Saturday against nationally ranked William & Mary (12-3).

The Hoyas got off to a rocky start to their slate, losing to James Madison 5-2, but they managed to rally and get a dominant win over Bryant, 5-0.

Georgetown secured perhaps its most impressive win in the history of the program on Saturday when it upset No. 33 ranked William & Mary 4-3. The two teams were tied at 3-3 moving into doubles play, but the Tribe was forced to rest one of its top doubles players due to a sprained ankle.

“Obviously it backfired on them and it cost them. I think they took us a little for granted,” Ernst said.

All season, Ernst has raved about the fight his team has, and it was on full display as the Blue and Gray battled back from a 2-0 start to the match.

“Our girls get a little nervous in the beginning of matches,” Ernst said. “As soon as they settle in and realize what’s at stake, they fight like you wouldn’t believe.”

Ernst singled out the clutch play of sophomore Sophie Panarese as being a crucial component of the Hoya’s success.

“If I was ranking both teams, guys and girls, I would put [Sophie] at number one as someone who responds to the moment of doing whatever it takes to get that win,” he said.

Both teams are in action this week, with the men facing Navy on Tuesday and Marist on Thursday and the women’s team matching up with Richmond on Thursday.