TENNIS | Men Shut Out UMW; Women Cruise in Big East Opener

The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams swept the competition this weekend with victories over Mary Washington and Pittsburgh, respectively. The men’s squad cruised to a 7-0 victory while the women defeated their Big East rivals by a score of 6-1.

Sunday’s win over Mary Washington moved the men’s team’s spring season record to 4-1, a huge improvement from 2011, when the team started the spring season 0-6.

Against Mary Washington, No. 1 doubles partners senior Andrew Bruhn and junior Charlie Caris put up a tough fight, battling it out in an 8-4 victory. A young pair at No. 2 doubles, freshman Alex Tropiano and sophomore Andrew Dottino, secured the doubles point with an identical 8-4 score.

The Blue and Gray blanked the Eagles in singles play, as the team’s newest players continued their success in doubles and stepped up in singles. Freshman John Brosens began the team’s singles run with his 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles. Bruhn shined yet again at No. 1 singles, coming away a 6-3, 6-3 victory.

The Hoyas next registered their third singles point with Dottino’s 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 4 and went on to secure the match with Caris’ win at No. 3. After falling in the first set, 2-6, Caris fought hard to bounce back and win the next two sets by a score of 6-4, 10-4.

The score was finalized at 7-0 with sophomore Casey Distaso’s win at No. 5 singles and freshman Shane Korber’s victory at No. 2.

The men will return to the court this Wednesday, February 15, hoping to claim their first victory over an Ivy League opponent as they face off against Penn at 2 p.m. in Philadelphia, Pa.

The Georgetown women’s squad was equally successful in its 6-1 victory over Pittsburgh on Saturday inHamarville, Pa.

Pitt was the team’s first Big East Conference competition, and the win improved their overall record to 3-1 and Big East record to 1-0. Like the men, the women have seen a big upgrade from last spring, when they started 0-3 before picking up their first win over Lehigh.

In this Saturday’s doubles play, junior Vicky Sekely and sophomore Tina Tehrani teamed up to defeat their No. 2 doubles opponents by a score of 8-2. The Hoyas clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 victory by the No. 3 pair of sophomore Madeline Jaeger and freshman Sophie Panarese.

Tehrani continued her successful run in singles play, quickly picking up a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles, while Sekely also managed to maintain her winning streak, defeating her opponent 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4.

Jaegar’s 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles secured the match for the Blue and Gray. Panarese then fought to keep up the Hoya’s undefeated match, winning by a score of 6-2, 7-5 at No. 6 singles. The match ended with senior Lauren Greco’s thrilling match at No. 1 singles, where the poise she has shown all season as the team’s leader was clearly on display. She won the first set 6-2 before falling 3-6 in the second, but she shined in the third and final set in an exciting 10-7 tiebreaker.

The Georgetown women’s team will next take on William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va. on February 17 at 4 p.m.