TRACK AND FIELD | Hoyas Find Many Personal Bests, Top-10 Finishes at Multiple Meets

The Georgetown track and field teams continued their strong progress last weekend, competing in three meets.

On Friday, one group of men traveled to Azusa, Calif., for the Bryan Clay Invitational, hosted by Azusa Pacific University, while only fifth-year Joe White traveled to Torrance, Calif., for the Mount SAC Relays at Mt. San Antonio College. Another coed group returned to Princeton, N.J., Saturday for the Larry Ellis Invitational, which took place at Princeton University. The weekend was marked by a number of new personal records and top-10 finishes across the three meets.

All-American fifth-year Joe White was the only member of the team to compete in the Mount SAC Relays. White ran in the 800 meter race for the first time this outdoor season, posting a time of 1:46.31 to claim second place.

All-American senior duo Spencer Brown and Nick Wareham both broke personal records at the Bryan Clay Invitational in the 1500m run. Among their field, which boasted more than 160 runners, Brown finished with a time of 3:39.94 — almost two seconds faster than his previous best — to place 11th. Wareham, meanwhile, finished shortly behind his classmate in 3:44.54, achieving 28th place.

GUHOYAS | The Bryan Clay Invitational saw multiple Hoyas perform better than ever before, as two seniors recorded personal bests.

The men’s team demonstrated its strength and consistency in sprint events at the Larry Ellis Invitational. In the 200m dash, sophomore Nate Alleyne finished in the top five with a time of 21.71. In the 800m run, graduate student Brennan Munley broke through the top 10 with a time of 1:52.28. Both of these athletes continued their strong work throughout the season as they have proved themselves to be some of the men’s team’s most reliable competitors.

The women’s team had great success in a diverse set of events at the Larry Ellis Invitational. An individual highlight of the weekend came from graduate student Josette Norris, who surpassed her previous personal record in the 1500m run by 10 seconds and finished with a time of 4:13.77.

In the 3000m steeplechase event, junior Meg Mathison gave Georgetown yet another top-10 finish to place sixth with a time of 10:37.73, continuing her steady work recently by adding to what proved to be a strong showing by the Hoyas throughout the weekend.

Three freshmen on the women’s side, Sami Corman, Eni Akinniyi and Cathilyn McIntosh, also concluded their first year competing for the Hoyas with impressive performances, going toe-to-toe with some excellent competition and delivering some of their best performances of the year in the process. Along with Norris, Corman broke a personal record in the 1500m run, turning in a time of 4:26.18. Akinniyi posted a strong second-place finish in the triple jump with 11.85m, a mere 32 centimeters behind Dashia Middlebrooks from American International, who ended up victorious in that event. McIntosh came up in the top 10 in the 800m run to claim ninth place.

The Hoyas will return to the track starting Thursday, April 25 through Saturday, April 27 for the Penn Relays, which will be hosted by the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.