TRACK AND FIELD | Infeld Second in Outdoor Event

Capping off yet another incredible season, Georgetown runner Emily Infeld finished in second place in the 1500-meter final at the NCAA championships on June 9. The good times continued June 13, when the Hoyas were ranked eighth in the final Terry Crawford Program of the Year Award standings.

Infeld, who exhausted her cross country eligibility when she graduated this May but will return to track as a graduate student next fall, became an 11-time All-American with the runner-up finish.

Held in Des Moines, the race saw Infeld remain in the front for nearly its entire duration. The Ohio native, however, couldn’t get manage to get past Washington rising junior Katie Flood, who took the race in a time of 4:13.79. Instead, Infeld was able to barely hold on for second when she wrapped up the race in 4:14.02, just one hundredth of a second ahead of her nearest rival.

Infeld, one of the most accomplished runners in Georgetown history, now has three career runner-up finishes in NCAA championships: one in the 2010 cross country championship and the other in the 2011 outdoor 5000m run. Infeld won an NCAA championship earlier this year in the 3000m indoor.

As a team, the Hoyas’ impressive top-10 finish in the Terry Crawford Program of the Year award standings was mostly due to this year’s cross country championship. The award, which uses a point system to determine which program performed best across the cross country, indoor track and outdoor track seasons, honored Oregon for the fourth straight year.

With this year’s No. 8 ranking, the Blue and Gray moved up one spot from its ninth-place finish in 2011. Georgetown was the only Big East school ranked in the Terry Crawford standings — and one of only 16 schools in the entire country to earn a spot on the list.

In addition to their cross country championship, the Hoyas tied for 16th in the indoor championships and placed 33rd in the more recent outdoor championships, where 11 Hoyas — nine women and two men — earned All-American honors.